Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,521. Welcome to our newest member, jmiles2008
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Antique Engraver's Tools -Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Copper

Default Antique Hand Engraving Machine + Accessories

For sale is an antique hand engraving machine on the original cabinet with a drawer of accessories and gravers designed for it. I know almost nothing about it except that it is very old. This is small enough to pack in a big box and ship FedEx Ground. e-mail for photos. $325
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050847.jpg (64.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1050848.jpg (96.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1050852.jpg (133.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Steel

Default Re: Antique Hand Engraving Machine + Accessories

I believe this machine is called a "New Century Engraver". Date = ??, but I think before 1900. Someone sent me a photocopy of an article about the New Century Engraver almost 20 years ago, but the copy has faded to the point where it is now virtually unreadable.

The New Century people offered fancy fonts which could be used to create monograms and similar. To go with these, they also offered something very cool: a clear plastic overlay sheet with uniformly spaced grooves on one face of the plastic. You could put a master on the master table, put the plastic overlay on top of the letter master, and trace to the edges of the letter in each groove in the plastic. Then you could turn the plastic sheet to a new orientation, and repeat the process. The result would then be the desired letter, with cross hatching, on whatever you were making. Or, if you did the cross hatching in only one direction, the letter would just have uniform shading lines on it. Another letter could then be placed where the first one was, and it could be engraved from so as not to obscure or over-write the previous letter in what you were making on the machine.

This is all I can recall of the process, and may be an imperfect recollection. I think I know where the masters are - maybe. I wish I was smart enough to figure out a way to make a plastic sheet with smooth and uniformly spaced grooves in it, because the same general idea could be used on a Cronite engraving machine, of which I have a nice example somewhat less that 50 years old.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Copper

Question Re: Antique Hand Engraving Machine + Accessories

Presumably the New Century was the 20th century, so the machine was sold under that name shortly after 1900? There were no plastics then, and no useful clear plastics for another 30 to 40 odd years (?) so it can't have been an original feature of the machine. How long were the machines in use?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Antique Hand Engraving Machine + Accessories

The thing I seem to recall about the New Century engraving pantograph is that it used a swiveling graver that actually made cuts like hand engraving, unlike a diamond drag or milling cutter. Of course the gravers would have needed resharpening which required some skill and the stylus had to be correctly oriented in the template at the beginning of each cut so that the graver cut on the pull stroke (as I recall).