Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,359. Welcome to our newest member, Kastensteel
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 05-22-2017, 10:02 PM
Copper

Default image transfer

Hello, I am realativley new to engraving and have been practicing on stainless plates just to get the feel for what each graver does. having said that i want to start transfering images from a computer printout to metal using transparency sheets and tape to lift the image off of the sheet and transfer it to metal. My question is what is the best printer without going bankrupt to purchase and do i need anything else to prep the metal before transfering. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks....
Old 05-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Default Re: image transfer

Hi Craig, Did you find this page: http://engravingschool.com/private/transfers.htm
It has info about various different methods.
I'm using the laser method with parchment paper. The printer I'm still using is HP LaserJet P1006
Old 05-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Copper

thanks it gives me a place to start.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:18 PM
Steel

I'm a fan of uv cure adhesive, overhead transparency film and a laser printer. Print your image in reverse on a transparency on just about any laser (toner) printer. Spread a thin layer of uv cure fingernail polish on your work and place the transparency image side down on the work. Work the air bubbles out from between the film and the work. Cure the adhesive with a uv/led fingernail machine for four 90 sec cycles. Peel the film off and the toner stays with the cured fingernail polish. Loctite 363 adhesive or Loctite 3491 adhesive (rshughes.com) both work well. 3491 is harder and not as rubbery as 363 but a little more expensive. UV cure clear fingernail polish works fine but it's kinda thick and hard to spread thin. The image stays put and doesn't flake like parchment plus you can see what you're doing. The adhesive forms a hard protective layer on the work as well.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:12 AM
Copper

that sounds interesting as well. i will give that a shot. believe i have most of those products in the shop allready. thanks for the info.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:53 PM
Steel

Laser with parchment here too. A little practice but after that, perfect transfer each time.

I use:

Parchment: https://www.amazon.com/PaperChef-Par.../dp/B000E7D45W

Printer: https://www.ebay.com/p/Canon-imageCL...nter/129863687
(No longer made but I am sure any laser printer will do)

Solution: 80% Zippo lighter fluid and 20% Damar.

Patrice Lemee
Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 PM
Steel

It works well for me, especially the 3491 since it is so hard. The thinner the adhesive layer the better. Less to get in the way when cutting through it.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:56 AM
Steel

I am getting exasperated with the transfer of inkjet images. I can barely draw on paper so on the metal is bad. Got the transperancies, the transfer fluid. printed and ,,,,,,, canon inkjet ink holds fast to the transperancy. printed on the smooth side the ink balls up. So now I guess I have to find a HP printer that uses 61 or 62 cartridges. Does the image need to be super dark, med, or lite?
The transperancies have a glue on them that reacts to water and becomes sticky. tried thinning the coating.,,,, no good. So to the store I go for a hp printer.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Platinum

The HP printers that use #61 & #62 all seem to work well. You can go online to find a list. I have the HP Envy 5660 and so do many other engravers. Easy to find, nice price.