Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,460. Welcome to our newest member, GWcda
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Antique Engraver's Tools -Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Copper

Default Is this antique for engraving?

ANSWER REVEALED IN LAST POST.....The museum where I work has had this machine forever and no one knows what it is used for. Does anyone have any ideas? To see it operating, go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kiJIj8fe58

Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Is this antique for engraving?

Look like a pantograph for the 3d model. I suppose it is something like that but maybe to reduce the coin or medal. Maybe too you have only one reduce size and it do it automatically without regulation because you don't have this possibility.
Do you have all machine's parts?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Platinum

Without seeing everything closer. I suspect that it may be a type of pantograph used for engraving gilloche patterns or a cycloidal engine which is an instrument for engraving bank notes, etc., with complicated patterns of interlacing lines; also called a Geometric lathe. The decorative borders found on US currency are drawn (in part) by a cycloidal engine.

In the video I can't see a cutting head where contact with the workpiece would be, hovever that part could be missing.

That's my best guess.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:23 AM
Copper

Quote:
Do you have all machine's parts?
Hard to say, of course! The tool appears to fit into the square hole on the block of metal that's attached to the moving business end above the wooden circle. There's a set-screw hole there. Examining the whole thing, there's no obvious shadows or unexplained holes from a missing part, though. At lunch, I'll insert the pic that shows this.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Platinum

For me it is a reduce machine for coin or medal.
On the turn table you put the big model and on the other way you have the good size mold.
Now to be sure you can ask the "money of Paris" of course it is in France but I believe he can help you.
You can send an email to the conservator of British Museum too, they are a department of coin.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Copper

Quote:
In the video I can't see a cutting head where contact with the workpiece would be, however that part could be missing.
The mechanism is touching the wood now; this is adjustable, but maybe the missing tool needs to be resting with the weight from above pushing it down? Also, the position of the tool holder would determine the length of the "cut", it seems to me.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Copper

Quote:
used for engraving gilloche patterns or a cycloidal engine which is an instrument for engraving bank notes, etc., with complicated patterns of interlacing lines; also called a Geometric lathe. The decorative borders found on US currency are drawn (in part) by a cycloidal engine.
That's pretty close. Here's what the director of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing had to say:
Quote:
I checked with one of our engravers and he confirms itís an old ruling machine. It would have been used to incise lines and circles (using the disk turntable configuration) into the metal plates.
Here's an old one with ours below it for comparison:

Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Steel

I just got this today

I need to learn how to use it. I have the plates and am ready to etch. I just don't know how to use the thing to turn patterns. Anyone have any ideas?