Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,590. Welcome to our newest member, Blake Marks
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Antique Engraver's Tools -Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Copper

Default Old brass vise

I am new to engraving and am trying to assemble the tools to get started. I found this vise on Craigslist and am not sure what I have. I cleaned it up and it turns out the entire thing is brass. The ball is 6 1/2" across and weighs 32 pounds. I could not find any makers mark on it so I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this before, who made it and what is it worth. Thank you for all the information.
Aaron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1 (1).jpg (55.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2 (1).jpg (57.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3 (1).jpg (53.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Steel

Default Re: Old brass vise

I think you made ​​a good purchase.Perhaps the only disadvantage is that oxidize but can be solved easily.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 AM
Steel

Hello Amenning,I believe the propper name is an engraver's block or engraving vise.As always the worth is what some one is willing to pay for it.Without knowing the maker or it's internal workings(some have ball bearings and internal locking mech.).If you look up the g.r.s.site you'll see similler blocks and thier prices but they are made of steel.If you look up the blocks on this forum you'll find bigger more modern advanced locking,self centering,etc. and the prices reflect it.As Zota says,I think you got lucky with this purchase,depending if it is still in working order and how much you paid.If you decide it's not right for you.give me a call.I'm allways in the market for old engraving stuff.Pat
Old 08-16-2012, 01:19 AM
Platinum

i'm thinking perhaps this was a 1-of-a-kind. maybe created by a pattern maker in a foundry. if this was mass produced, there would likely be some sort of identifying marks or logos somewhere on it. to me the ring or indentation on the lower portion appears to be just a decorative touch. i doubt that a bearing would be that far down on the ball.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:51 PM
Copper

I have the same vise. Did you ever learn any more about yours ?