Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Steel

Default Mr. Paws.. PalmControl engraving

The following is a Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso watch that I just finished for a patron.
My rendition of a 200lb Great Dane, named “Mr. Paws”.

I did not know where to post this; not only is it a significant work of mine but also is
a brief tutorial for those who learn by observation. I decided to post it here as to not
interfere with Mikes ongoing tutorial on his Brittany.

There is much going on between pictures, but if you print this out at the size it is here,
will give you something to study on.

By temperament, I am not a teacher, and as my somewhat distinctive writing style seems to inflame some of the more easily offended among us, seems this is the best I can do to contribute something to the learning process of other engravers.

Material is stainless, with a slight radius surface. Overall height of the engraved portion of the watch is 22mm, the oval is 19mm….

The work was accomplished with both a 60 and 70 degree graver, along with the assistance of Steve’s classic palm control.

Hope it helps someone out there. Thanks for looking.

j.c.
www.jcengraver.com

Old 11-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Mr. Paws...

Thanks JC
Fantastic work:whoo:
Old 11-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover

Really nice JC. Of course the dog is well done as always but I really like your treatment of the scroll framing.

Very nice depth to that.

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Steel

Thank you for the opportunity to learn from you, JC!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Platinum

Hi JC,
Thanks you so much to show your work in progress again.

I read some of the "hot" threads, your writing style is no problem, you have your special point of view, I learn a lot from those threads as I can read different people's point of view, idea and advise. There is no problem with someone's though is quite different from the majority or different from the others. I think if the post is just "Yes", "Agree" "Good" "Excellent", then it will be rather boaring and everyone may leave......I believe my writing style is far worse Sorry!

From your this serious of photos, I can notice that you have the structure of the lines far more "tight" and "neat" than your before tutorial, and it make the overall engraving looks very charm. You are going to change your "style" a bit?
I found the leaves standing out strongly in the final photos. I cannot see what make the shadows?! Is that you re-cut the contour of the leaves in a more heavy flare cut or you add shadow lines around it?

Thanks thanks thanks again for showing your excellent works, I am one of the people out there who learn a lot from your posts. Thanks.

Zernike
Old 11-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Platinum

Thanks JC for your further information.

Please I didn't mean your this works is better than your previous works. I just have some different feeling when I look at your new works. All your works are in super quality to me. I have print your photos and keep them in my drawing notebook together with the advise in monogram that you gave me before. I know the lines are very very fine in the watch and the real engraving in the watch is far better than the photos.
I think if I can have a chance to hold it in my hand and look at the detail, I will run away immediately...............with the watch in my hand

It looks to me your photos are already very good! It's professional. I did take commercial photography job before and photography is one of my favourite hobby/professional. For better quality marco photo, don't know if the following information can help:

You need a better camera that can take higher resolution images, one that can change lens can better, mine is D200 Nikon (I use it but not recommend this camera!!!), it's good to have a better quality camera to keep record of your excellent works, they will leave you and back to their owner once you finish the job.

1. Get a Marco lens, 60mmMarco is o.k., 120mm or 180mm do have more magnification power.
2. Use tripod, cable release to avoid camera vibration, now most digital camera need digital cable cord and they are crazy expensive, really didn't worth, so use the "self-time" function of your camera also works well, set the time at least 5 second. I don't have the digital cable cord.
3. set the aperature to minimum, i.e. the largest f/stop number, this need a longer exposure time so you need a tripod and cable release. This is the depth of field control, to make the photo sharper.
4. if you need to use flash light, put one or two layer of tracing paper in front of the flash light (if it is built-in), now many people use the semi-transparent milk bottle, after you drink all the milk, cut it half and use the bottom to cover the flash light, this work as a diffuser to avoid hard edge shadow.
5. You need to set the resolution of images of your camera to its maximum, it can capture every details of your watches, but for online photos, you have to reduce it after you load the images to your computer becasue too large in size cause problem in upload and download. You also need to set the "contrast, tone value, saturation, white balance' in your camera before you take the shot, although you can make the adjustment later with Photoshop or other software.
6. Finally you may not enjoy the large resolution photo by a good sharp lens because it shows everything, good or bad, we can see the very tiny scratch, the dust become a white hair.....nearly most good photos of the watches we can see in the magazine are photo-retouched-a rather time-consuming process with Photoshop or other photo retouch software.
I will try to show one high res. photo shot in watch later today if I have time and you will know what I mean.
You've taught me a lot in engraving and above is my very limited knowledge in photography that I can share with you, hope it can help.

I would like to add that I found the shadow effect of the engraving in your watch is strong and this looks very good and I like it so much so I ask how you do it. I don't mean to comment that the shadow is too strong, hope my poor English haven't mess up everything.

I think I better talk less...or even shut up.. seems I have problem in express what I want to say...properly.

Regards,
Zernike

I've pm you something about marco photography.

Zernike

Last edited by Zernike Au; 11-03-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Platinum

J.C.
I have little time to reply to such gorgeous work. Fantastic, elegant and beautiful work! It is so nice to see such brilliant work. You need to visit this sight more with your work and advice. We all have a lot to learn from one another. Also, one thing I disagree on is that I believe you are very well spoken and write well. A lot better than I do! Thanks again my Friend.
Rich Hambrook
Old 11-03-2007, 03:31 AM
Platinum

Hi JC,
Here is the link to the photos I shot, just give you a rough idea how a Marco lens can do. That's all what I can do.

http://www.zeroimage.com/Engraving/closeUp.htm

You can send the watches to me and I take the photos for you, no charge, no watch return......

Regards,
Zernike