Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Steel

Default just an observation

I have noticed that a great number of gun engravings are swirley fern and scroll type engravings . why do you think this is?
Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Steel

Default Re: just an observation

I have been thinking about it and plants and scrolls are perfect for filling up odd places as they can conform to any shape without looking wrong . I guess my observation is more like why arnt different styles used that dont use scrolls and plant life is is because the customer demands traditional art ? or is it the artists preference . please dont let this thread upset you and understand I am just one person looking at this art from a fresh perspective
Old 03-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Gold

From what I have read it is dictated by tradition.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Platinum

Dictated by tradition... And market.
All the time it takes to make something , you sure hope its something somebody wants.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Steel

and it also shows how the artist can make complicated lines, due to its curved nature, the more curve, the more comlicated, imho
Exodus 35:35 -KJV
Old 07-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Steel

Im not gonna let that constrain me!

I try to always move forward, i think that complex geometric stuff and such is where i want to go. Aesthetics change as the times do, i dont see why guns are always limited to scrollwork and an animal or two.

i am impressed by them yeah, but imagine any other field of art where every artist paints roughly the same thing. I bet that alot of yall get bored doing the same stuff over and over, why do that?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Platinum

I can think of one reason you seldom see geometrics - they take a lot longer than traditional patterns.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renpatch View Post
Im not gonna let that constrain me!

I try to always move forward, i think that complex geometric stuff and such is where i want to go. Aesthetics change as the times do, i dont see why guns are always limited to scrollwork and an animal or two.

i am impressed by them yeah, but imagine any other field of art where every artist paints roughly the same thing. I bet that alot of yall get bored doing the same stuff over and over, why do that?
March to the tune of your own drummer, why play follow the leader? I like the idea, the world becomes duller if we all use the same "cookie" cutter.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Steel

My thoughts are that fire arms engraving is in many ways a very traditional artisan tradition. The majority of the work that is bought and produced follows a formula. This was very common in all arts until the modern period. The less mainstream the art or artisan skill the longer that element of tradition tends to hold on, also the more of a commodity or every day item the more likely that the work will be conservatively traditional.

I would say that engraving is often seen as a holding utility. The idea of embellishing something that is already valued. Much the way materials used to make paintings and objects de arte in the Renaissance were seen. The majority of those consuming engraving as a commodity are accustom to this motif.

The tradition has a fairly common origin and due to the skill and time involved in the practice the need and the utility of innovation may be counter the market that allows the artisans of engraving to continue to work.

The areas of divergence/innovation in engraving appear to be coming from the self taught and those that have taken up engraving as an extension of other artistic traditions.

The amazing part about engraving is that though there is a tradition and a large amount of a particular style there is no reason to take this as wrote or as sacred. As long as you can design and cut it you can do it.

This is in some ways the story of modern art.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Steel

When firearms really began to take off and become more common in Europe several hundred years ago I suspect that the "scroll work" was the style that was "in" at that time. As with all things the wealthy want it embellished and the market would dictate what was produced. That's my guess on how it got started,...........as to why folks still do it ? I think overall gun owners are a traditional kind of bunch and the market is still there for it. It is an interesting question.

-Aaron
Old 07-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
When firearms really began to take off and become more common in Europe several hundred years ago I suspect that the "scroll work" was the style that was "in" at that time. As with all things the wealthy want it embellished and the market would dictate what was produced. That's my guess on how it got started,...........as to why folks still do it ? I think overall gun owners are a traditional kind of bunch and the market is still there for it. It is an interesting question.

-Aaron

I know that some do other styles besides scrolls, I have seen them on hunting forums, but never on the engraving forums. 2 of the engravers post on the engraving forums, but I have never seen their other "style" posted on the engraving forums. It was the owners that posted the work on the hunting forum, not the engravers, kind of like they did not want anyone to see their "other side" of engraving.

Granted I am no expert, but the work was extremely nice and both got great reviews from other gun owners. I know one was contacted about another project, but I have no clue if he responded or not. At least I know there are 2 other engravers that think out of the box on firearm designs, if they want to keep their secret, I won't spill it. I bet there are several more that unique design ideas and want to keep it to themselves.