Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Platinum

Default New studio

I now have private sleeping quarters and space where I am in communication with my spirit and the world, plus a decent view of the beach and the daily life of people walking by.
I can see clear to the Morros and twenty miles beyond, all the way to where I have caught most every species of game fish that swim in these Pacific waters. Two of them large enough to win two cars and $4,000 prize money. All from a boat that my wife Franca named after my mother “Lillian”
Up here in my new studio I have the luxury of a steady breeze. Prefect natural light for engraving and space to stand away from the canvas to study the effects of colors I paint.
I am really enjoying painting. It is so much more forgiving than engraving.
So many times while I was cutting a hunting scene into a gun, I wished that it was possible to use color to differentiate the various shades needed to distinguish objects from their background.
I remember when I was studying in Italy that other engravers would ask “Why do you want to become a gun engraver? Don’t you know that it is nothing but hard work, pains in the neck and shoulders?” I was determined and ignored their warnings. In my next life I will opt for painting. From now on daubing paint on a two dollar canvas is perfect for an old dog like me.
If I screw up, just add a bit more paint, unlike engraving hard metals. A trade that I have found often leads to baldness, blindness, and a bent back.
I don’t think I am ready or interested to paint from photos or to strive for reality, I think I am going to enjoy painting from observation and imagination.
My internet connection here is much faster and more reliable than I had under the palm trees, the sunset views are most excellent and the bedroom below is much cooler because of the new tile roof. I think this ten year building project has at last come to its end
It has caused cuts and bruises and many a sore back, but as a friend of mine told me “The object of life in not to have your well cared body placed gently in the grave, but to be dragged to the coffin, worn out and yelling “It’s been a hell of a ride.”
I hope you have found this tour of my new studio of interest, have a great day and thanks for looking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resting spot.JPG (118.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg the Morros,Gro.Mex.JPG (46.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Caba~na, 72 chev and Lillian.JPG (80.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg picking up the car keys.jpg (66.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Rooster Fish and Sail.jpg (56.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg the world at finger tips.JPG (123.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg two old dogs.jpg (79.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg day at the beach.jpg (58.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Gold

Default Re: New studio

Looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing & enjoy.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:16 AM
Gold

Joseph,
Congratulations ! Great to see and hear that you have finished your studio project. Thank you for the photos and description. I am working on my home too. I am adding my jewelry/engraving equip. to my unused bed room. Unused means unused for sleeping, used for everything else. I have my tread mill and exercice equipment in there.I have a window to the north . One a cold snowy winter day I will be able to imagine you enjoying the warm sun and cool breeze and beautiful views from studio, and visits from freinds and family. Be well my freind ,continue sharing the beauty of your work . To inspire others by sharing what you have and do is a gift indeed! Kindest Regards, Cookie
Old 10-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Platinum

Looks like a real nice studio , enjoy and take care
Old 10-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Platinum

Thanks Bildio, I am enjoying this new spot immensely.
Dave, it is nice to know that I have friends that I have never met in person,
Cookie, I have worked in a studio so cold in the winter that my vise needed to thaw before I could use it. If any of you need a break from to cold let me know, as I have room here for guests. Here is a progress pix of my childish labors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girl with a kite.jpg (59.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Platinum

Hi Joseph,

Nice picture.
The new studio is a little haven in my opinion,look at all the sun and sand ,clear sky ,could not be better !

All the best Joseph.

SE

Old 10-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Platinum

"The Girl with a Kite" That is the title of this most enjoyable project.Thanks for looking,and have a great day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finished Girl with a kite.jpg (44.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Platinum

Default A Jar of Sunshine

I am most fortunate to have made a comfortable life for me and my beautiful wife of twenty nine years from art I produced.
During those years I have taken her on many small adventures. Mexico being the most exciting, dangerous, and the most daunting.
My life as fulltime artist is in many ways the life of a gypsy.I seem to be allways chasing after some idea.I think that this is my last studio
It was thirty odd years ago in a time of great personal depression that I discovered what I was born to do.My book A gifted Man explains all.
It was then I came to the realization that I was put on earth to make beautiful things and perhaps inspire others who are struggling to find inner peace.
I began my journey of learning when I made a vow to never lie or steal again.
I have put all my efforts into becoming an honest person and learning the discipline needed at my chosen art of hand engraving.
There have been many times that a lie of convenience would have temporally made life a bit easier, but never better. I have kept my vow for many years.
I do however lie at the poker table, and to my dog, who believes all that he is told.
I have lived ten years on this Mexican beach, in a home that we have built together. It has been my wife’s belief in my decisions and the management of our finances that has landed us here in this safe harbor. It is a place that most folks call Paradise.
I enrolled to my first art class at the age of forty two.
That class started a journey that has taken me all over the Uninted States, across the ocean to England, France, and Italy, hitchhiking parts of the way, without home or friend.
It was then that I learned of real cold and lean meals.
I have had my share of successes, and failures as a fulltime artist and I am pleased to say that the successes far out number the failures. I am now starting a new artistic adventure at the age of seventy-three. With my past experiences to help me I want to paint the gorgeous sunsets that present themselves to me each evening. Here is a new practice painting that I hope captures a setting sun. I am considering placing a full moon in the upper left corner and a half moon in the lower left.
Thank you for looking
Joseph Engraver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0039.jpg (67.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Platinum

I have finally gotten enough practice mixing colors to seriously attempt my first Pacific sunset. Oil on 50x70 cm canvas.
Thank you for looking, have a nice day.
Joseph Engraver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg After the storm.JPG (150.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Platinum

Hi,
Wow! that looks nice Joseph.My compliments

SE
Old 12-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Platinum

SE Engraver,thanks for the compliment,here is another painting just finished.It is titled "Singing Fish"
Cheers and Happy Holidays
Attached Images
File Type: jpg singing fish.jpg (86.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Platinum

Hi,

That is awesome too Joseph.
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy 2012.

Thank you for the picture.

SE
Old 12-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Platinum

Default Heartburn

Here is my holliday painting.The title is "Heartburn" it was fun.

Troubles South of the border
I am facing the most serious problem that I have encountered in a long, long time. Five weeks ago, four clean cut adult Mexican men robbed a neighbor, a man my age, and his wife, at 3:00:A.M.
They took money, expensive electronics, cell phone, the man’s nearly new Dodge pickup, then left them unharmed...
They told him “you no problems we no problems” No weapons were exposed.
He gave up everything without resistance and they left them unharmed. Two weeks ago on Thursday night the neighbor three houses to the south of me experienced a similar situation. His wife woke up to find two men in the second floor bedroom. This time one of the intruders had a very nervous pistol and was masked. They made him open a safe, took cash, valuables, his electronics, cell phone and his SUV. The following Friday about 10PM one of the local fishermen was kidnapped and ransomed later in the night. I am told the ransom was equal to 100 dollars.
I have a nasty feeling that I could also be a target.
The room where Franca and I sleep is small; concrete built, and has solid doors and iron grill work on the windows. It is a secure structure.
The major problem I have is no gun to defend myself.
I have a pit bull that has taken care of small problems over the years.
Ace is now old and not as sharp as he once was. I have him tied to a weak string in front of my bedroom at night. He can easily break lose, if under pressure.
I have put a spider wire trip cord in the back of the place; it is hooked to a piece of copper pipe that makes a loud noise when it hits the concrete floor of my garage. I hope the noise should at 2 AM scare the crap out of anyone sneaking up on us.
My plan is, if the dog or the chimes go off, open the window. Yell as loud as I can in Spanish.”Vete cabrones o Te mata. Then shut the window and all lights and wait to see if they to attempt to break in.
If they do then I guess I will try to negotiate. The odds of anything happening in the next few days are small... Monday I am going to try and buy a legal pistol for home protection that should be interesting if I do, you can be sure that it will be needed engraving. If I can’t then I am going to do a bit of gun smithing on a soon to be 12 gage pistol x flare gun. I just realized that I get to test fire the thing.I went to the Marine base near here and asked about buying and owning a gun, what I really want a 12 gage short barreled shotgunI was told that a permit costs 30 pesos.(two dollars) and that I can own a handgun provided it is not a caliber larger than 9mm.or a shotgun with a barrel at least 24 inches long.I can buy a legal gun in Mexico City,after I obtain more permits by going to the State of Guerro capital and filing more forms. I said to the officer that I spoke to that it would be simpler if I found something on the Black
Market, he agreed so I have quit that idea.
My plan is not to roll over, but to defend and scare them enough not to try again… Up to the present my weapons have been wasp spray, that I understand it is as effective as Pepper spray, and a large machete by the bedside.
Leaving, it is out of the question. I have been a wanderer too many years, this is my home, built with my sweat ,blood, and money.
I am well established here in a small village of fishing men that know and respect me.
I once won a Sailfish fishing tournament prize, two cars, and 4;000$ in pool money and became a local legend. I get along well here,
My wife has tutored two girls and I am friends with the locals. I have done small repairs for the farmers and fishermen on spear guns, sharpened machetes, small tools, once I cut and crowned a cut down 22 single shot rifles with a 15 inch barrel, pistol stock, and a missing front sight. It belonged to one of the Indio’s named Chilpa. T he barrel was bulged an inch behind the muzzle and the front sight was missing. I cut the bulge off. made a new dovetail, with hacksaw and a modified file, made a new front sight out of a small piece of ivory that I brought down when I settled here.(I was a gunsmith in another life.) bore sighted it for 75 feet, after a few rounds I got it sighted in. It shot a respectable 5 round group considering it had a 10 lb. trigger with a lot of creep. I have talked to him about buying a gun of any sort two weeks ago.
Chilpa did not come through, however another lead has paid off; for 6,000 pesos I am now armed with a Beretta look alike 380 auto with one round of ammo in the clip,and the promise of more ammo to come this week. I don’t dare to test fire it until I have a more generous supply of cartridges, it has come at the right time.
Christmas Eve the house two doors to the north was hit at 2AM.These guys were armed with knives and guns. Captured the caretaker put a gun to her head then forced her to let them into the vacation house where a family of wealthy Mexicans is staying for the holidays. They took cash, jewels, electronics, and two Suburban cars. I will sleep well tonight knowing that I can fight back a bit more effectively.
Life can be a shot in the dark, who says retiring is boring
Merry Christmas and a great New Year to all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heartburn.jpg (182.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Gold

Joseph,
Sorry to hear of the " Bandito" trouble. Will keep you , your wife and neighbors in my thoughts and prayers. I trust you had a Merry Christmas and wish you all a Happy New Year. I hope this " trouble" will go a way for all concerned! Steve Cook
Old 01-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Platinum

Thanks for the concern Steve
Finally I have teeth to bite back if needed. I test fired my new illegal pistol at midnight one New Years Eve. It works fine and I now have 12 rounds of ammo, the clip is loaded, there is a round in the chamber, I pray that I never have reason to pull the trigger.
I have instructed Franca how to use it. I wish I had a bigger supply of ammo then we could do some target practice.
New Years day at 11AM my neighbor to the south of me by 150 meters was robbed by gunpoint of his new Jeep, watch and wallet. Last night at 8PM Jan 2nd a restaurant that was catering to about 30 of the wealthy people who have winter homes here was held up by a couple of gun wielding thugs. They demanded the keys of a new Ford explorer to a Canadian millionaire .He refused, they pistol whipped him, robbed every one present then took the truck of the restaurateur instead. The same night at 11PM the people next door were robbed of their car, It is getting very close to my home. Here is a new painting that I almost completed. It is inspired by the 14th century Mexica culture. She is my interpretation of Huixtochuatl, Goddess of Salt,
Thank you all for looking, 1012 is going to be a very exciting year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Huixtochuatl the Salt Goddess.jpg (64.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg portrait of Rosa Ixtal.jpg (71.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Gold

Joseph,
Sure glad you are ok. It has been windy and cold here . In the " Teen"s tonight. Tomorrow I will gaze out of the shop window and feel the warm sun and breeze of your studio & home . I will imagine you touching up the new found "Goddess " on the canvass. I will continue to keep you and your wife and freinds in my thoughts and prayers. Let us hope that the New Year will bring peace & prosperity to all. Kindess regards Steve & Wanda
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Platinum

Thank you Steve for your concern, Franca and i are determined not to let these thugs destroy the peace and happiness that we have here.I am sure God looks over my shoulder. Here is my completed painting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg huixtochuatl godess of salt.jpg (72.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Platinum

Meet Boxer Jack ,
With all the crime being committed along this once peaceful spot. I have had to increase my canine security force. I now have two noses that can smell danger from afar.
This new work is a finger oil painting on a 50x70cm canvas.
All you engravers who get burned out and need a break should try finger painting.
Tools are free, no training required, instructions are simple to follow. ”Put fingers in paint, put paint on canvas, repeat this procedure until entire canvass is smeared with paint.” Mistakes are not a problem, accuracy is minimal, the play of colors is fun and is totally relaxing. Have a great day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACE on alert.jpg (45.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Boxer Jack.jpg (62.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg my best hat.jpg (113.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Steel

Hi Joseph, sorry to hear of your upheaval and lack of peace..It happens everywhere nowdays. Up here, they are after copper wire and copper pipe and anything not nailed down.. Maybe these new "trail cameras" they have out for photographing animals at night along the trails, they are motion sensing activated, would help out..At least you guys would have a picture of the robbers so they coud be brought to justice.. I know that no one likes the idea of leaving their home or homeland,but, people flee or become refugees when they are persecuted or they get tired of beinging drag out of their house in the middle of the night.. I see your paintings are coming along. People really need hobbies to get rid of all the stress in their daily lives, that and all the walks they can sneak in, wether it is a beach or a woods...
Old 01-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Steel

Sir That looks like a great way to live the life. Enjoy
Old 02-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Platinum

Things are quieted down here in my small world, peace and quiet has returned.
The hair on the back of my neck no longer rises at every strange sound or person that happens by
Franca has named the pistol “Debbie”. That is code word to me indicating danger, as” Will you call Debbie please.” The pistol is no longer a pistol. It is called the “ventilator.” As in “Did you put the ventilator away”?
I am pleased to tell that there will be a combined signing of my book A Gifted Man and showing of 25 paintings and some engravings here in Zihuatanejo on the 24th and 25th of this month.
It is an exciting event for me as it will be held at a top class restaurant with wealthy clientele and will be well advertised locally...I have renamed Jack the boxer to Picasso as there seems to be a problem in publicly giving the command “’OFF”I never imagined that painting would allow me to find so many new ways of expression. Here are some new designs
Thank you all for looking and have a great day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My dog Picaso.jpg (38.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg the workout.jpg (185.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Dos Gringos.jpg (68.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Platinum

Default The best people in the world ....

I can't pass up any opportunity to talk about dogs and specifically Boxers.

They're great .... fun and love motivated and cartoon character animated. They don't stereotype, discriminate, pass judgement or care if you're rich or poor or having a bad hair day. That makes them better people than most people.

I was surprised to learn that Boxers are on the top 10 most dangerous dogs in the world list. It's kinda funny actually. My buddy's kids will poke at her and cover her with sand in the sand box and its' all still fun and she's lovin' it cause she's the center of attention. When we walk in public, people step aside in fear .... but only if they really knew she's trained to lick your hand on the "attack" command. The only human she ever went after was a known pedophile at the fair ... (very good doggie!!). It's a good thing she was on a leash or I'd be paying a lawsuit and the dog would have been put to sleep. What a twisted world this is at times.

They are pretty good to have around and when you get to know them, they are essential. If they only lived forever...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mila01a.jpg (26.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg great_kid.jpg (12.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Platinum

Hi Chris,Joseph,

Dogs are amazing friends and pets. At one point in time I had eleven and they helped me live on a small farm safely, which was at several times robbed of personal effects and livestock .After I got them most hassel just stopped,ofcourse,with a few additional tatics.

I can never forget or replace the years I lived having them around me,just the thoughts of each of them or talking about them to my children brings a tear or two to my eyes still even now.Dogs and horses are the best creations of god for us,I believe.

In the second picture that dude surely knows how to pose for a picture

SE
Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Gold

Joseph, Chris, SEngraver,
Good evening , Joseph , great to hear things are returning to normal! My best regards to you, and have a great day showing your art at the event . I will be going to the Long Rifle event in Noblesville Indiana, 20 mi. from me in Elwood. In. . I saw the post , Myazel, made a few minutes ago. I think he is from Southern Indiana. Joseph , where can I buy your Book? I think John Schippers will be in attendance as well. Chris & Sengraver, I enjoy your input to the forum. But most of all, I " LEARN", from your thought - out responces. I hope to meet you all one of these days. Steve Cook [ AKA Cookie}
Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
Joseph, Chris, SEngraver,
Good evening , Joseph , great to hear things are returning to normal! But most of all, I " LEARN", from your thought - out responces. I hope to meet you all one of these days. Steve Cook [ AKA Cookie}
Hi Cookie,Chris,Joseph,

I believe we all learn from each other on the forum.

But I admire both Chris M and Joseph Engraver and they are great engravers and friends I have known on the forum.
I cannot however overlook you ,my friend,(if I can say that) as your long experiences as a tool and die maker are most admirable to me.

Good Wishes
SE
Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Platinum

Thanks friends,
Chris
Twelve years ago when I ended up living permanently (by choice) in Mexico I wanted a dog to replace the one I lost as a boy. I did a bit of research on dogs and found that the Boxer had all that I wanted in a dog to protect my home and be a great companion. I went a vet in Zihuatanejo and asked about a Boxer pup. He said that he knew of one and I could pick it up in a week. I paid a deposit and a week later picked up Ace who has never been the brightest of dogs and never was a Boxer. The vet lied to me and sold me a Pit Bull mix with a snipped tail. Ace is still a fine watch dog and a great companion but his sight and health are fading. My new pup is most likely the last dog and I want him to be my best dog. In the short time I have had him I find him to be a joy to teach.
Steve
Sadly I don’t believe that the problems all Mexico face will soon go away but continue to spread. As far as I know you can buy my book almost anywhere,
Just Google A Gifted Man by Joseph
Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Platinum

My first solo art show turned out great.I sold this painting and two copies of my book.I had some interest in this engraved and cermat inlayed knife but we could not agree to a price.Here is a new painting that I call "Welcome to the BluMamu" It was fun and exciting who would imagine that I would paint this. Thanks Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fisherman done!.jpg (36.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg first painting exhibit.jpg (132.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0001.jpg (66.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Welcome to the Blue Mamu.jpg (68.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-31-2012, 02:34 AM
Platinum

Hi,
Congratulations on the Art show Joseph,Thank you for the pictures of your paintings.

SE
Old 04-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Platinum

Every family has its odd ball.
Meet Weird Cousin Waldo
He is done on 14x18 canvas using oil as finger paint.
My fingernails are a bit colored for me it was a great learning experience,
(Next time I will try painting with surgical gloves,) and another step into so many unexplored avenues of expression using colors. The painting was completed in a three hour session and it was the greatest fun.
Thanks for looking and have a Bright and colorful Day.
Joseph
Author of A Gifted Man the memoir of an Artist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wierd Cousin Waldo.JPG (99.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Platinum

This is what has ended up on my easel today.
Last week I was sitting at the dentist’s office reading through the only magazine there. Skipping through the year old pages of chic- lit one glamour pose struck me as the subject for a provocative painting.
I have been painting only from my imagination since the first canvas after a visual stroke retired me from engraving a year ago.
Having just completed canvas no.34 called Lucky Bob, which was fun and a great exercise in pushing my imagination, but not very challenging, I painted it mostly with my fingers in less than two hours one of which was thinking time.
When I saw this sexy pose my first thought was. Did I have the skills to paint a canvas using the magazine page photo as a reference? I thought about the pose while the dentist worked on me, by the time he finished I knew that I would at least give it a go.
I have eliminated jewelry, extra hair, strings and changed colors but stuck to the pose. I was pleased to find that all the studying and drawing I had done engraving game scenes has been a great help to me, hope you like it.
Thank you for looking, have a great day.
Joseph, author of “A Gifted Man (memoir of an artist)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5928.JPG (85.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Forbidden Fruits.jpg (58.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Platinum

Here is a new painting that is in the final stage of completion. It has been very challenging to do, but I have enjoyed every moment.
I am looking forward to a trip away from my studio this weekend while I visit with new engravers and friends at Scot’s Engrave-in.
For the first time in 30 years I am going to sleep in a tent. That is something of a concern for Franca, as she keeps saying “Remember how old you are.” And I keep replying “It will be good for me even though I will miss you.”
Thanks for looking and have a great day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0263.jpg (41.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0290.JPG (120.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Platinum

It has been a while since I have finished a painting; I find the process of putting colors on canvas to be a happy and rewarding way to pass my time here in my studio. I don’t seem to be able to work when I feel sad and I have not felt sorrow for many years.
I have been feeling low for the last few weeks as I could see my dog Ace fading away. He died this week in his sleep, outside my bedroom door, on guard to his last breath.
Here is a painting I did at a happier time and the drawing for a new one.
Thank you for looking and have a good day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Really fishy.jpg (109.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg an audience of two (2).jpg (57.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Platinum

Sorry to hear about Ace Joseph. You gave him a good life and he was obviously happy till the end. Good that you have a new pup to share life with.

I like the painting with the fish for the brilliant colors and it reminds me of the work of M.C. Escher.

Peter
Old 08-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Platinum

Hey Peter
Thank you for looking and the sympathy. Sadness lasts only so long if your soul is normally happy.
Ace is buried here on property and Jack has taken over his duties as guardian and night watchman.
I have finished this painting today and want to share it as I am pleased with the results.
In many ways engraving and painting are intertwined as you must be able to draw your ideas on canvass or steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Audience of Two.jpg (70.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Platinum

I wanted to post this new painting before our trip back to Italy and the spot where we met.
Saturday, Franca and I leave for an exploratory trip to a medieval town located near the Tirrenean coast. I have been doing much thinking of the future and what it holds for the most loved and respected person in my life and artist life style. At the lowest point of my career, when I was alone, broke, in pain, and very close to suicide we met by the goodness of God thirty years ago.
With her thoughtfulness, compassion and practicality, and my drive to create art we have been most fortunate in our joint efforts to conquer life. Now is come the time to let life conquer us. One of my sons recently died. It was an experience I never dreamed of happening. The very same day my great dog Ace also died, but that was something I had been expecting as he was old and tired of pain in his life. In human years he would be about 84
All of these events brought home to me the realization that my candle is flickering to its inevitable end. We live in a tropical place that is proudly called paradise by all real- estate agents. The natural beauty here has brought an influx of the very wealthy and property prices have increased ten fold since I bought this acre of beachfront land fourteen years ago.
I myself have considered it more like mount Olympus, for only Gods should be fit to see the sunsets observed from this place.
I have had the pleasure of taking a dream and making it into a reality. In doing so I used quite a bit of my allotted candle.
It is amazing how rapidly time flys when one is consumed in a creative dream. I have come to the conclusion that this once isolated but now discovered by the wealthy dot on the planet has put an end to this dream, Now the time has come to face the fact that soon either my wife or me will die. We have discussed this subject together at length and are of the opinion that we could not live here alone. Nature’s beauty and solitude are great soothers of mind, body and soul but I am cured. I have been absolved of my self imposed sins and I have, thanks to my wife’s good management, and luck in investment accumulated enough wealth to return to Italy and seek a place where Franca can be close to her family and friends that she gave up to follow a poor man with an artist in his soul.
Of all the places I have lived. My fondest thoughts always return to Italy, its culture, citizen pride, the education its children receive, and of course art, food and wine. These are absent here in Natures Paradise. My wife deserves to return soon to her homeland so she will have time to fit in again, develop friends and enjoy the rich fruits of our labor and I am looking forward to seeing my teachers, nephews and engraver friends.
Have a great day and thank you all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tempestsic weather.jpg (78.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Platinum

Joseph,

I just read your most recent post and find it both touching and insightful. I am sorry to hear the tragic news of your son and your faithful dog. A doubly hard blow. My sincere condolences.

Viewing your paintings, I would not be surprised that you find more aclaim in the world of post modern art than you did as an engraver. It would only take the right gallery or promoter to see your paintings and know your story.

I hope you can find the right place for you and Franca in Italy. It is truly the art capitol of the Western world. I have also been concerned for your safety in Mexico in the last few years. At your age you deserve to live in peace and serenity.

My best wishes to you and Franca,

Roger

ps: That last painting is reminicent of Paul Gauguin.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Platinum

Default A Ghost in a Castle

Thank you Roger,I do thank you for your thoughtfulness.Italy was a perfect trip.I have photos to post but need to organize them first.This this story is true.
The Ghost of Castle Fosdinovo
“Welcome to my home.” Pietro Malaspina said as he met us at the stone archway with marble columns that we drove through in a rented Fiat 500.
Franca and I were booked for two nights at the thirteenth century medieval castle turned into a Bed and Breakfast that sits high up in the mountains overlooking the Ligurian coast the plains of the river Margra and the ancient cities of Sarzana and Lerici twenty kilometers below.” You can put your car up there” he said, pointing to a steep stone road that led to a very small level parking lot that once was a court yard. We do not open till three P.M.and you are twenty minutes early. I got back in the car and Franca navigated up an even smaller roadway that was just wide enough to allow us to make it past the walls of our home for the next two nights. Up we went, the side mirrors just barely missing the castle walls.
As we waited for the owner to show up we decided to explore a bit, we walked back down the road and found a small sign that indicated that two huge iron bound door was the main entrance to this forbidding place. One of the doors was ajar and I was very interested to see what the place looked like inside. We went up a worn causeway through the doors and followed the steps ever upward. Along the walls were ornate sconces that held unlit torches. At the top of the stairs were two more massive doors which were locked shut? As we retraced our steps down I noticed a small opening in the wall. “Let’s see what is in here” I said to Franca.
I looked inside but could see nothing for it was as dark as a dungeon. I dug a lighter from my pocket and flicked it on. In its glow I realized that it was exactly that and a spooky feeling came over me. I got out my camera and took a picture then backed out of the room and we went to meet Signore Pietro Malaspina whose family has been owners of the castle since it was constructed in 1300 A.D. From the parking area the view before us was spectacular, I could see all the way to the island of Corsica which was forty miles in the distance. Promptly at three the owner showed up.” Leave your bags in you car, follow me and I will take you to the registration room.” Following the owner and director he led us to a very small door nearby, unlocked it and led us up a set of narrow set of stone stairs that led to a large courtyard some fifty meters long framed with hanging gardens. At the other end we came to another large heavily reinforced door. Unlocking it he handed us as set of keys. “Here is a flashlight and the keys to all the doors you will need, please return them when you depart from here. Welcome to Castle Fosidinovo, for the next two days my castle is your castle." Pointing to a rope hanging down the wall he said “If you should become lost find your way back here and pull this cord and some one will come to lead you to your room.” I had an image Igor the assistant showing up holding a flaming torch saying " You rang sir please follow me.”
At the reception desk we presented our passports, and signed the register. The heir to the castle then led us to another door, unlocked it with a heavy iron key then led us up more stairs past a collection of old tools, weapons, and a full set of armor standing guard.
Up we went past paintings of nobles, and ladies from centuries past. We entered a large room with old but comfortable furniture, more paintings and a wall lined with modern books, a carved marble chess set sat on one shelf. Turning down another narrow unlit corridor he stopped in front of another wooden door, opened it with the large iron key then led us into a very dark room with paintings of a praying nun and a priest on the wall. He went to a shuttered window unlatched and opened it filling the room with afternoon sun shine. Franca immediately went to inspect the bath room and me to look at the view below. “It is wonderful” she said when she returned.
With that the director said. “Enjoy your stay here, breakfast will be served down the hall on your left from eight thirty till ten and if you should see a ghost don’t be afraid He is a friendly guy”. Then he left us, leaving me to find my way back to the car and haul our luggage up stairs, down corridors, through archways and locked doors then find our room again. We spent the day enjoying wandering around had a great dinner and slept well that night. The next day was a repeat of the first except for this nightmare dream.
The dream
I was watching two children playing in a courtyard. They were running and sliding through a light covering of snow. I started to run with them. Laughing and playing with them I said “I am an old man but I still can run as fast as you can” and I followed after them. They led me to a dark blue canvas that was covered by the light snow. I lifted up the canvas and found a clear plastic trash bag .It was tied at the opening with a piece of rope and frosted over inside as if by the breath of a living thing. Through the opaqueness I could see a body inside. My first thought was that the animal was a dead dog or a foal and someone had left there. Then, the creature in side the bag move and I realized that it was still alive and was suffocating. I tore at the plastic and made a hole in it .It was not an animal but a girl. I ripped the bag open and pulled the girl from the bag. She was covered in afterbirth. I wiped her face and cleared the moldy slime from her eyes, nose and mouth. As I cleared her mouth with my fingers I saw a jagged gash along the right side of her neck. There was not a drop of blood anywhere and her skin was as white and as cold as marble. Her hair was the color of honey. I took her in my arms and felt the smoothness of her frozen skin. Then she moved, I said to the two children who were standing nearby. “Go for help. Find a doctor.” Meanwhile a large gathering of people had appeared around us. One was talking on a cell phone; others were talking to each other but they seemed to not see me and the girl. “Help, I yelled to them. Please find a doctor. No one moved.
I thought that I must yell louder in order to be heard, I screamed “Help” again but it was as if my vocal cords were frozen, I tried to scream again thinking I must make my voice be heard, I still remember trying to clear my throat. I screamed “Help” at the top of my voice and I heard Franca's voice say "Joseph you are dreaming" and I awoke from the most vivid nightmare I have ever had in my adult life.
On returning to Mexico and my computer I searched “The castle of Fosdinovo” on the web.
It was then that I discovered that the young daughter of the Malaspina family in A.D. thirteen hundred had been entombed alive in a cell with a dog and a boar located approximately under the room we rented, and that recent investigations had uncovered the bones of a girl and two animals.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Platinum

Wow, what a story! I'll never stay at that place.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Platinum

Roger I to will never stay there again.Here are some photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bag boy at back door.jpg (74.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg engravers, nails.JPG (174.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg main hall ceiling Painted in 1580.JPG (98.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg main hall mural.JPG (133.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Fosdinovo.JPG (151.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg spooky tools.JPG (167.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yesterdays fashion.jpg (39.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg the Malaspina.jpg (43.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Star castle,Da Vinci design.JPG (159.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg my favorite restaurant.jpg (46.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Platinum

Default Here we go again

The holiday season has begun, time for me to clean oil and check my contraband hand gun.
My neighbor went to town with his wife and a friend, parked his SUV, locked it and did some shopping. When they returned to his vehicle someone had drilled out the door lock and taken his stereo system, his groceries ,camera and a wad of cash and had tried start the SUV with a screwdriver wrecking the ignition in the process. All this happened in daylight in the parking lot of a large shopping center and no one saw a thing. A young single woman was murdered the same day. Every day the local paper has photos of bloody bodies. Once again we are sleeping with doors locked.
We have put our place up for sale and are going to take any offer that comes along. We have been advised that the day we sell we should leave town as the chances of Franca being kidnapped are very real. My Mexican adventure cannot end soon enough. The idea that we are no longer safe here has overcome optimism, my love for the natural beauty and pleasant climate. I am tired of being stared at by the locals I am weary of the lies and scams, and distrust I have developed of the Mexicans who are my neighbors that I thought would be my friends.
Italy and another studio cannot happen soon enough to please me. The only bright spot in this present chapter of my life is the property has become quite valuable and will net us enough money to have made this adventure worthwhile. Here is a new painting that for lack of a better title I call Earth Quake.
Have a great day
Joseph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg earthguake.jpg (56.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Platinum

Good luck getting out Joseph. I've been worried about your safety since I heard you were living in Mexico.

Keep us posted,

Roger
Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Platinum

Thank you Rodger for your concern and also for the time you take commenting to this post. The property is now listed for sale and this dream of mine is reaching its closing chapter.
I thought that it would be of interest to show the tile work and the furniture that I did over the years. The plan is to leave here with two carryon bags, one suitcase, Jack the boxer and enough money to enjoy the remains of my life in style and comfort. It has been a wonderful experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front gate.JPG (124.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg general view.jpg (57.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg bar.jpg (57.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cooking top.JPG (160.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg couch.JPG (152.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg kitchen table.jpg (64.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg night stand.jpg (56.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg dry sink and spice rack.JPG (159.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg original bed room.JPG (143.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg chess anyone.JPG (116.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gentleman Jack.JPG (166.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Platinum

Plans for relocating my studio to Sarzana Italy are solidifying. We have set our departure date for May first when we will fly to Paris, rent a car and make the ten hour trip to Italy travelling over the same route that I hitchhike in the winter of 1982.This time I will be sleeping in first class accommodations instead of the front seat of a freight liner and will be eating in nice restaurants instead of trucker bars. It is amazing to me how my having learned to engrave has so completely altered my life. My computer has died from exposure to the climate here and I may not replace it until we are settled in Italy. As I find that keeping in touch with you my friends on this forum has become one of the most important moments in my daily routine. I will try and keep this thread updated as new events happen. As of yet we have not found a buyer for our home here, even if we do not sell before our departure we are definitely leaving. I thank all of you who have read this post and even though most of you don’t comment I appreciate your reading it. Here is the photo that I plan on using as a reference for my next painting.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Platinum

*h6t6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg next paining.JPG (88.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Platinum

Default Putting the final pieces of the puzzle together

The planning of my move back to Italy from Mexico has taken many hours on the computer. Investigating air fares, car rental and shipping requirements for the dog who is the major problem and extra expense. He requires a special size crate, vet certification,shots and a micro chip of 15 digits implanted under his skin along with three pages of forms filled out in blue ink written in English and the language of his destination which is Paris France. They are now completed and Franca is working on finding lodging and restaurants. I am sure that they will be gourmet all the way.
When I was shopping at the open market here in Zihuatanejo a beggar woman came up to me and asked me for money .I gave her some pocket change .She then took my hands in hers and thanked me. Later in the day I noticed my wedding ring was missing. Ether she took it or I lost it somehow. I do not know. I have never removed it since the day she put it on my finger. The other day I went to one of the many silver shops in town and bought a plain replacement which I did my best to engrave. Once again I realize that the work is not the greatest and I am definitely past my prime so rather than post it on the engraving forum I felt it would be best to put it here on the Watercooler along with my newest attempt at smearing paint on canvas
Thank you for looking and reading
Joseph Engraver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunset at Bara di Potosi.JPG (134.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg new wedding ring.jpg (31.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Milestones and Millstones

Milestones and Millstones
Yesterday I sold my engraving tools to a jeweler in Zihuatanejo. It was a sad moment when he loaded them up in his jeep, paid me and then drove away. I will miss them very much. It is a millstone in my life...
I remember my first day learning how to engrave under the supervision of Ken Hurst in Lynchburg Va. wondering if I would ever be capable of learning such a complex trade, and the hours spent trying to understand how to draw scrolls, sharpen tools, transfer designs and use a hammer and the day Ken said that I was good enough to engrave my first gun, that was a milestone. Today I bought a car in Italy using the internet to research the make, model and price. And pay for it. Considering that I remember using a crank telephone and oil lamps for lighting that is truly a milestone.
I also learned that if you are over the age of seventy you cannot rent a car, get insurance or a drivers license in Italy. Therefore I shall be the passenger, unless I break the law and I most likely will as I have never followed others rules very well. It is another millstone on my journey through life. As I post this on Steve’s Water cooler I see that the number of people who have followed this post is close to 5,000. I consider this to be a wonderful milestone and I thank all of you. I have also found out that my book A Gifted Man, memoir of an artist is now available on line for about 4.00$ should you be interested in buying a copy, this is also another milestone.
Joseph Engraver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marlin 016.jpg (65.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg marlin 024.jpg (50.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg marlin 027.jpg (49.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Milestones and Millstones

It is good to hear of your plans coming together for the next phase of life Joseph. It was a pleasure meeting you at Scott's, and I hope your next journey is a smooth one!

Regards,
Peter
Old 03-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Platinum

Joseph,

It's sad to hear of you selling your engraving tools but I understand the reason for it. I take it that you are now living in Italy? Did you sell the house in Z-what?

Now that you are living in Italy, I will call you Giuseppe.

Roger
Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Platinum

Joseph,
I soooo eanted to meet you before you left.
I pray the LORD will carry you always in the palm of HIS hand,that you dash not you little toe.

Are you able to take your friend(s)?doggie(s)
Please stay in touch Joseph.

With much Love and prayers ,
michael
Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Platinum

Mike, I wish also that we had had a chance to meet as I consider you to be a friend. I read you post “A Fair Price” with interest, my opinion is sell. After all you are an engraver and making a living from your skills is what it is all about.
Rodger, I hope that one day you will make another trip to Italy and we can get together and visit with some of my engraving friends there.
I am not sure what my future has in store for me over there but I suspect it will involve Giovanelli’s school in some fashion.
Peter it was a pleasure to meet you at Scott’s Engrave In. Thank you for the kind favor.
I will not be posting for a while as time here is down to not many days and we are starting packing and planning this trip back to Europe.
Reducing ones life down to a couple of suitcase is not an easy task and there is much left to do and many friends to say farewell to. Thank you Steve for this great Forum, and thank all of you who have followed this post. By the way I have found a home for “Debbie,” she did provide my home with a sense of security over the last year, but I am glad to see her go...