Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Steel

Question book review

Is it just my own ignorance or is the book "Engraving on metal made easy"by B.T.Horpe about the hardest thing I've ever tried to understand.This is the only book on engraving that the library has to offer.Any info for us po-folk who can't afford the pleasure of a private collection? Pat
Old 04-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Gold

Default Re: book review

Pat, this book is a reprint of "The Art of Engraving", written by Fred Holmes Rees. Originally published by B. Thorpe, publisher of The Keystone. A follow up to his book, "Modern Lettering Engraving."
Your "B.T. Horpe" I guess was to get around some copyright law.

In answer to your question, I think it is a very good book for learning lettering engraving, and not nearly as difficult to understand as some other older engraving books. The best of the older jewelry engraving books in my opinion. Most of what I have learned came from this book, but that is not saying much. Check my picture album.

You could try Meeks, Art of Engraving Book, which is centerd around guns, but the info also applies to jewelry.
Or try John Schippers new book on Engraving guns. Available on this site. I don't have it, but it has gotten very good reviews, and seems to be the best out there. I should get it, even though I have about 9 other "how to" engraving books, and do not plan on engraving guns.

This is not an easy skill to learn by books alone, and even with the help of the forums. Most all of the people that advance quickly have gotten lessons and use air power. I have not, and my progress is slow, and my results limited.

Describe more what you want to do with engraving, what tools you are working with, or want to work with, the amount of time and money to devote to it, and you will get some good advice.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Steel

Ha !,you prove your own point sir,thanks for the "good advise"
Old 03-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Gold

Pat,
I would recommend John Schippers text . I live close to John and I see him in his shop often. This week he was finishing a " Sharps" rifle . It had "Nimschke " style engraving . When we discuss his text , he always recounts why he wrote it . The answer is always the same " so others can learn better and faster than I " John's engraving is top rate for sure, especially when you get a chance to hold it and view it from a few inches away! His text will show you the way. Best Regards ,Cookie
Old 03-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Platinum

Brownell's has Meek's book on sale at a great price, well within even a modest budget.

Bill