Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 09-21-2007, 07:26 AM
Platinum

Default more mike dubber engraving

here are some close ups of mikes lion floor plate and other close ups .. ron. p

Old 09-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Platinum

Default Re: more mike dubber engraving

Old 09-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Platinum

Old 09-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Platinum

Old 09-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Analizing the artistic process

Thanks for the closeup study Ron - I really don't know how you do that. For everyone else, I sent Ron an e-mail containing the floor plate - then he took digital photos off his computer screen and did the enlargements???

In any case, I appreciate seeing the lion in closeup. There is some loss of bulino detail, but most of it shows up nicely.

The artistic process:

After inlaying the lion, I taped off the cartouche area and bead blasted the background - then I cut the grass to to "ground" him in the scene. The whole scene, inlaid borders and scroll, is done in a kind of "layering" technique. That is, the Lion is the centerpiece and the background within the cartouche is softened with the bead blast. The grass is brite cut through the bead blast. The corners of the floorplate are engraved with bold scrolls to "frame" the scene. Finally the very light ghost scrolls were cut in the area between the cartouche and the heavily scrolled frame. The addition of an entirley different pattern - the three leaf spray with gold berries on the hinge boss - topped off the floorpate to create something new to look at.

It's been my experience that people (clients or others) examine these things over the course time. First the client sees his lion - that's what he was looking forward to seeing in the finished piece. Later, sometime months later, he might call to say that he just noticed those leaves and berries at the top of the scene...maybe he will comment on the ghost scrolls during that conversation, or maybe even later during another conversation about another piece he's thinkng about. The important issue here is that he will spend a considerable amount of time looking at his Lion before going on to other detail.

In the final anaylsis, if you don't do a really good job on the central character (the powerful Black Maned Lion in this case) you probabaly won't hear the gratifying and complementary comments about all the other supplemental art you spent so much time creating. Incidentally, I have few chances to study mature Black Maned Lions in real life. This lion was in an old coloring book that I cut up for reference material years ago. Simply drawn in black and white lines, it provided all the detail I needed to create this lion.

So, that's what builds your client base for the future....and the amount of money you charge is adjusted upward as the level of your art continues to grow....and that's when engraving becomes profitable and satisfying.

Last edited by MikeDubber; 09-24-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Steel

Mike

the gun looks wonderful by the way!

How much time does it normally take to do a project like this? (Just general information like 1 week or 6 months) I am working on a 12 gauge shot gun right now and I don’t know how much time it should take or how long it takes other people to do something like this with gold inlay and lions.

Last edited by shonn; 09-22-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Working Time

Shonn:

I checked my work log to see that I spent 38 hours on this bottom metal (floor plate, trigger guard, magazine body, screws, etc.) Truthfully, this was the easiest part of the job, i.e., soft metal, easy to jig up and hold, etc. The entire piece of work included engraving on the action, barrel, sight rib, express sights, grip cap, rings and bases and totaled out at 160 hours, or four weeks+- of labor. I charge $75 per hour plus the cost of gold (in this case I used 1.95 ounces of 24K). So, add the cost of gold (1.95 X 465.00 = $906.75) plus 160 hours X $75, and you'll know what I charged.

I know there's a lot of speculation about how much to charge - even more controversy about how much engraving is worth. It's relative to your acquired skills, the speed at which you work, how you are percieved within the world of engraving and how you promote yourself by doing good work. Most of all, it's a matter of recognizing your skill level and working within that market. Everyone needs to grow into the system as they learn and improve. No matter what you charge, the work you do needs to be the very best you can do at your current skill level.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Steel

thank you so much!

your answer is a breath of freash air! thank you for your honesty, it helps us new to the engraving world out, in time and expenses. thank you.
i am trying to see how things work and the more strait forward answers the better off i am, and others as well.