Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,738. Welcome to our newest member, nephilim
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Steel

Default One of my first engravings!

I fail at buying antiqueing stuff. I went to Home Depot to pick some Rustoleum today, got home and realized I bought latex vs. laquer. Will latex work as an antiqueing agent? I ended up using liver of sulphur.

Something I've noticed is after using the blackening agent I use a 4000 grit fabric sanding cloth to remove the unwanted blacked areas, this causes the blackened fine detail lines I made to lose it's shading/blackness. Am I not going deep enough with the fine lines? I used a line graver. Or is it simply a matter of the blackening agent used? Will this issue be resolved by using an oil based antiqueing solution?

Critiques please?

The scroll is 1.5" x 1" (I don't have my microscope yet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (126.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Platinum

Default Re: One of my first engravings!

Nice to see you using your new tool, cuongsy.

The oil based rustoleum would definitely be more durable in the cuts.

I used a darkening agent like liver of sulfur for quite some time... It was actually gun bluing. When you sand it off, you definitely lose some detail so I don't use it any more... It can also continue to darken other areas (that aren't supposed to be darkened) which isn't good.

You can also try using speedball ink or a sharpie marker for the delicate cuts, and rustoleum for the large areas of background removal. That's what I'm currently using.

Keep cutting!

www.androscreations.com
Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Platinum

Cuongsy. Pat yourself on the back for putting your work out for us to use to help you with. I don't know what tools Andy talks of but you are cutting very deep and that is affecting you control, mostly in the curves. Also how are you controling you work piece? A graver bock or are you trying it hand held? your shading lines will come with practice but if you n\need to paper your work it should be for bur removal not your antiqueing method. Use a solvent and a hard smooth finished cloth or even news paper to remove excess color. Let all of us in on the how you do as well as the what and these guys will really help you. chickenscratcher
Old 07-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Steel

thanks for the replies guys, I really appretiate it.

Chicken, I am using a lazy susan with plywood hot glues to the top for these practice plates. I do however have a small sized engravers block that I will eventually use when it comes time to switch to objects versus the copper plates I've been using. After reading what you had to say about control and deep cuts, I did a bit of research and discovered I was placing too much pressure on the way I hold the airgraver and I need to control the pressure release on the foot pedal a lot better. Again thanks for the replies.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Steel

I decided to engrave an object vs. practice plates. Here's an attempt on my Knew Concepts jewelers saw. The frame is aluminum. I still cut too deep, I think some of it has to do with me not sharpening my gravers as often as I should, which I hope to have remedied with my purchase of some new templates. Some of the design elements do not go together, I was just trying to practice different border techniques. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01122.JPG (141.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01124.JPG (162.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01125.JPG (133.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01126.JPG (159.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Platinum

Hello again. First thing I see is try to always remove anything that can be, That handle had to be a real pain. If it comes off loose it. also the lazy susan can work but try to think of a different way to attach the work so you can move the area you are actually engraving close to the center of rotation of the susan. Your curves will be rounder. The oliptical path created by being off center and rotaing will cause distortion in your curves. Setup takes longer but finished job looks better. Also use your block vice even for flats. Everyone talks about the time to learn to engrave but control of the holding fixture has to be mastered as well. Keep at it, you can never stop learning something new in this art. chickenscratcher