Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,739. Welcome to our newest member, S_Two
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-16-2011, 05:01 AM
Steel

Default Home grown vice

Just thought some of you may like to see my home grown setup as a newbie and a tight butt i didn't wont to spend out at this point till i know this is for me so a few items from the workshop first is the vice i used a stainless steel art deco style tea pot 150mm dia removed feet and handle tig welded a small upstand tube and filled with lead then welded the backing plate for the 80mm 4 jaw indepenant chuck and screw chuck on with its 4 screws jews are reversable which is great for round items. the second vice is the sugar bowl its 90 dia with a 60mm chuck ideal for small items and screw heads etc.
i will say they work for me even though its not as fine as steve vices which are some first class engineering but then mine has only cost pots £6.00 ebay
chucks £25 ebay lead some i had the balance from scrap yard £20 and my time total £51 GBP for two vices i can live with that.
the scope mount and scope head a NIKON SMZ from ebay come with eye peices and 0.5 objective lens picked it up for £69 GBP a bargain i think and its clear works a treat the mount is a LED screen desk mounting which needed a little modifying made a head mount and rack from an old photo enlarger again it works for me. the light ring for scope i made from a PVC pluming reducer and glued in a flexable strip of LED'S running on 12 volt mains adaptor which i had this total cost £8.00 GBP
well thats my home grown kit hope it gives someone food for thourght. and a few scratching from these vices
ray
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg
Old 07-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Home grown vice

Hi Ray,

Your set up is better than mine.

You are very innovative Sir.

SE
Old 07-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Steel

thank
i just see it as a way to play at the monment without spending obscene money but then maybe there is a scottsman in side trying to get out.
i have read so many posts of others that want to have a go but then it comes down to money for some and this was just a few simple bits of kit to give them brain fodder.
i have even done the bowling ball bit thats so cheap ball grind flat for vice and bolt on off ebay itshould cost no more than £20.00 GBP and it works
ray
Old 07-16-2011, 06:10 AM
Platinum

Ray,

Necessity is the mother of all invention.

You proved that well here,I reckon,after seeing your first design and now the equipment you are well on your way....well done my friend !

All the best to you.
SE

ps.Put your vise on a turntable since you use a scope;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cake-Decorating-Icing-Modeling-Monitor-TV-Turntable-New-/140546011900?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_J N&hash=item20b931f2fc

Hope you dont mind me mentioning that.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Steel

The turn table is in middle of completion will post when done
ray
Old 07-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Platinum

Hi,
Sorry Ray I did not know about all this could happen at something I have mentioned in good faith.
My apologies Ray and Steve L.
SE
Old 07-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Steel

sengraver
dont worry it my fault for not check i posted right photo
ray