Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 05-02-2016, 05:46 PM
Steel

Default stainless pocket knife

Hey all...I finally had some time to mess around and decided to make a pocket piece for myself. I tried something new....inlay...so I thought stainless would not be that bad , and it was not as easy as I thought. I need to work on my lettering and shading , but I am not so unhappy with the results .

I was thinking of adding a border , not sure if it would just make it appear crowded. as always feedback is welcome. thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2412.jpg (59.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-02-2016, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Default Re: stainless pocket knife

Hi Chris, Looks like you did it with the inlay! What type of stainless did you use for the knife scale?
Your progressing. I looked at your previous engraving project. http://engravingforum.com/showthread.php?p=89020
I'd say keep drawing and playing with your scroll. Ray Cover did a traditional scroll tutorial. He goes through step by step by laying out and cutting the scroll in it.
It is towards the bottom of this page link and titled "Basic scroll shading for traditional scrolls"
http://www.engravinglessons.com/On-D...0Tutorials.htm

When I was first learning I studied Lynton's style of scroll. You see variations of it people do.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 05-03-2016, 08:51 AM
Steel

Is that a Buck 327 knife? I found it hard to engrave. How did you find it? I like your design. thanks, PaulE
Old 05-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Steel

hello Steve...you will have to forgive my lack of knowledge of the terminology , if I understand correctly the scale is the handle material . it is an off the shelf buck knife in 440A stainless steel . It is also the first project on the new turntable from you . It does its job well , thanks. I will look into the tutorial thanks again for the info.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Steel

hello engraver1949....Thanks and yes it is the 327 nobleman. I actually had issues with the points breaking at first , then I changed the angle of the face and kept the point very sharp and it seemed to work well .

On the other hand cutting out and undercutting for the inlay was a lot more difficult than I anticipated . I will have to revisit options to try to make that go smoother.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:11 PM
Steel

The spyderco knives engrave very easy. A similar sized knife (dragonfly) is around $50.00. I engraved one and will be giving it to my daughter-in-law who is a police officer. It will be her every day carry on duty knife. I also changed to the m42 graver blanks and the edge definitely holds up better than the HSS. I think I will go back and finish the Buck knife I started. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Steel

I think it is finished .... because it is a pocket piece I tried some different things. changed the way I shaded it on the back, and added the background on the front. Is it just me or do others have a difficult time figuring out when to stop? I do not draw the complete design out first so it turns into a progressive work .I am sure this does not make it any easier. As usual any opinions are welcome....thanks Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knife1 06.jpg (33.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg knife1 08.jpg (47.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg knife1 12.jpg (49.5 KB, 0 views)