Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,458. Welcome to our newest member, NeilCo
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Antique Engraver's Tools -Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 AM
Gold

Default Watch Makers Lathe

Any of you good people collect the old ones
I have a friend that has picked one up & is looking to sell
If anybody wants me to get photos please PM me
Cheers Graham
Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Watch Makers Lathe

Why not post the pictures? That is what this section is about, old engraving tools. I don't believe it is intended for the sale of them but Steve is usually an easy going guy. Please do post the pictures, I don't think anyone wants this forum to become a portal for classified sales.

Bob
Old 08-28-2013, 02:19 AM
Gold

Well he rang me about it as his mate passed away & the widow dropped off a box of bits to him, He rang me because he knows I do a bit of engraving and model making
To get the pic's would be a 2 hour round trip as he has never bothered to get computer legit
Sorry to upset you
Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Platinum

Graham I didn't mean to appear overwrought, you'd think this clown face would show everyone just how happy I am to be here. I didn't understand that you did not have possession or access to the photographs, only the knowledge of its availability. Allow me to rephrase my request, if you gain access to the photographs would be kind enough to post them?

Bob
Old 09-03-2013, 05:12 AM
Gold

Hi Redgreen
Today I was out in the back of beyond working & had a break down so had to go up to the big smoke to get parts
While I was there I called in to have a look at the box of goodies. Didn't have my camera with me but ended up buying it all with a contribution to the widow
I Will endever to get some pitcures up in a few days. I seem to have 4 or 5 different tools plus lots of collet chucks
The lathe is a Lanco 6mm made in Australia about 1945 or so I am led to belive from a quick Google search tonight
What all the other items are I have no idea
But I will endevour to get the photos up, hopefully I have time over the weekend
Cheers Graham
Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Platinum

Hey Graham that's cool, I've been thinking about obtaining a watch lathe lately but know absolutely nothing about them. I'm machine tool impoverished, the only machine tool I have is a drill press. Seems like it would be a good place to start for both the obtaining of tools and knowledge. Can't wait to see your treasure.

Bob
Old 09-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Copper

I frequent a site dedicated to lathes. It is a wealth of information for all kinds of lathes. If it is a Lanco, the website owner would like to hear from you. http://www.lathes.co.uk/lanco/. He could probably even tell you what it's worth.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Gold

Thanks Metman
I'll follow that up
Tomorrow is Saturday down under here so I'll get some photos of all the gear & post them
Cheers Graham
Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 AM
Gold

Hi I got a few photos with the flash not great though
It is missing the rod to screw the collet up tight

Lots of collets

Back Gear Missing the mount

lots of I don't know what

I Think they go in this but where this goes not sure

Back of what looks like a small draw plate

Front

Some other plates

& tools

There are 4 other items which don't photograph well under flash so I will try in the sun tomorrow
A couple of them look like face plate turning tools
Cheers Graham
Old 09-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Gold

Your lathe is a copy of relatively common lathes made in Germany by Wolf Jahn and also Lorch. Generally called a Geneva style D bed. Made for either 6mm or 8mm collets - chucks - headstock accessories. I can't tell which you have. This exact stlye lathe is still made or sold today by a Swiss company called Star. I think the basic lathe with no accessories is around $2000.

Made in Australia, probably during a time when Germany was not exporting machinery, or other countries would not alow their good to be imported. During the 1940's watch repair equipment was in very short supply. In the USA, that shortage was pretty well satisfied by 1950 or so.

A German lathe like the one in your first picture, that has the drawbar that is missing on yours, and in good usable condition, no abuse, or no more than minor surface rust sell for $80 to $150 on Ebay. Collets etc would be extra cost.

Your lathe has so much rust, it is not worth fixing, and probably after the rust is removed, not nearly accurate enough for watch work.

The collets are to rusty to salvage. The punches are for a staking set. Again too rusty to salvage.

The aluminun plate with jewels set into it has some value if not too many of the jewels are broken. Sells for about $80 to $130 on Ebay with no broken jewels. The tool is used for measuring pivots.

The countershaft looks like it can be cleaned up and be used. In not good looking condition, but fully useable they bring about $60 to $100. But with the base, which I don't see in your pictures.

The tool with the roller pictured with the collets and wheel chucks looks like it can be cleaned up. Vaue after cleaned up on Ebay, about $20 to $50. It is a file rest, used in place of the T rest.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:21 AM
Gold

Thanks Kevin
Thanks for all that info I was going to keep the lathe, clean it up a bit & use it for a bit of model making

The plate next to the aluminium plate I asume is a thread chasing plate, the only marking on it is Stubs
I was hoping to take pic's of the other tools today but it poured with rain most of the day
This link to an item on ebay is the same as one of the other tools I was trying to photograh

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-AU...6#ht_406wt_806

Do you have any idea what it is for

Also I have this tool

With the bottom plate that looks to be a heating element. Could it be for forming lens covers for watches and could the other tool like the one on ebay be for cutting them to size. This is just a thought because I have no real idea
Many Thanks Graham