Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,490. Welcome to our newest member, palawler
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-31-2014, 11:24 PM
Platinum

Default Are you a Jeweler?

Any chance to get some other Jewelers to chime in on this thread so myself and others can check out your photo albums.

Id love to hear how long you've been in the craft, and what are the things you most like to do when making jewelry.

Ill go first.

Been melting things for abouts 19 years.
My skills have grown very balanced through most of my saddle time, but what
I enjoy most is.. designing one on one with a client, carving wax, bead/pave setting, bezeling, doing remounts, and spinning things on a lathe.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Are you a Jeweler?

Jewellery is my bread and butter.
But I don't know if I've got pictures up on the forum. I always have a heck of a time when I try to add pictures. I forget why even. It's been so long since I've tried. (I'm gonna go try again right now)
I do a lot of lost wax.
I carve my models in slate, or ivory, then go from there.
My principle techniques remain carving and chasing.
Gwaai
Old 04-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Platinum

Lol.... Okay, it's really easy to post photos. :/
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Platinum

Wow I really like the styling of those pieces.
never tried to carve on slate before, how is that?
Old 04-02-2014, 01:34 AM
Platinum

Slate is great. Perfect carving material if toy get the right piecebut fragile in the long run. Has a grain that you have to watch. But takes superb detail.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Steel

I have been a jeweler for 30 years. i have working on adding engraving to my list of skills. most of the work I do is repair and hand fabrication. I have some photos posted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00443.jpg (165.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-13-2016, 06:54 AM
Steel

I started making jewellery over forty years ago and started my own company in 1986. Iíve used gravers for setting and bench-work since the beginning and have incorporated decorative engraving and lettering into my pieces whenever possible. I picked up an AirGraver a few years back and love it, although the grumpy old codger in the back of my head still thinks that itís some kind of cheating.
I started taking pictures of my stuff as soon as I had my own place and built a searchable database in 2003, which I threw up onto the interwebs when I realized that websites were the way of the future (grumpy old codger again). The site is at
http://photos.kmpltd.ca/
Brace yourself. There are a lot of pictures.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 PM
Copper

beautiful work!!!!!thanks for sharing!!!Bill Cote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Steel

I've been a jeweler since 1971, you can look up some of my pics here, mostly do some what high end pieces now, but for 20 years I specialized in making Jyotish jewelery, that's jewelry made featuring astrological stones, one for each planet, you can thank Fairfield, Iowa and the Maharishi University for that far-outness! In February 2012 I had a major stroke, now the left 20% or so of my brain is gone but my brain picked up the slack and learned it all again, from kindergarten on up... Finally I got most of my memory back (2 years). I post the details because I went missing from here about then. Now days I use engraving to do ornamental work on jewelry.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I've been a jeweler since 1971, you can look up some of my pics here, mostly do some what high end pieces now, but for 20 years I specialized in making Jyotish jewelery, that's jewelry made featuring astrological stones, one for each planet, you can thank Fairfield, Iowa and the Maharishi University for that far-outness! In February 2012 I had a major stroke, now the left 20% or so of my brain is gone but my brain picked up the slack and learned it all again, from kindergarten on up... Finally I got most of my memory back (2 years). I post the details because I went missing from here about then. Now days I use engraving to do ornamental work on jewelry.
Great story of triumph over adversity.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Steel

I'm not a jeweler but I make jewelry. Spent some years in the family business which was suppling manufacturing jewelry findings in the form of fancy wire, rings from wire and strip, gold filled manufacture and sheet rolling to temper and patterns. Along about 1980 I was also involved in clad metals for electronic and other uses. I became interested in reactive metals like titanium and niobium for use in jewelry but left the industry in 1985. In the last 4 years I have been exploring how engraving and other techniques might have application in jewelry making. I found a source for platinum clad niobium and have learned a lot about its properties. Some of my latest work is in my album or at http://www.iconobium.com
Old 08-01-2016, 03:56 PM
Copper

First reply one this forum.
Been making jewellery since 1976.
In and out of the trade trying to make a living at it.
Part of the issue of choosing to live in tropical North Queensland Australia.
Love it here, but work is an issue.

Want to add engraving to my list of skills.
Most of the work I do these days relates to natural pearls and 9ct gold, because of my client base.

https://m.facebook.com/cookislandsje...?ref=bookmarks

Hand engraving only atm.
Just bought a microscope, wow what a difference that makes!
Old 08-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Copper

At it for about 20 years. Design, manufacture and stone setting. I really enjoy setting specially sins I got a airgraver and microscope.
Really nice to see more jewellers on the forum.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:08 PM
Steel

I've been at it a bit less than you guys! I'm 27 and started making jewellery at around 21...so 6 years now? I've done three years of design/goldsmithing school and another year as an apprentice, and now am the lead designer/caster/model maker at an engagement ring company here in Vancouver, B.C.

I made the foolish decision to try and attempt to teach myself engraving, setting, and gemcutting all at once but it seems to be turning out alright!

This is the shop I work for, I have personally designed modelled and cast more than 90% of these https://www.instagram.com/cavaliergastown/

My favorite work is more sculptural though...I'm in the process of finally putting up a website. If anyone wants a sneak peak it is http://www.thisishewn.com password is aukloo
Old 08-13-2016, 03:50 PM
Gold

I have been a Jeweler for the past 21 years (including 3 years of study of Jewellery design and manufacture). I have a fully set up home studio that includes casting equipment as well. I have been setting for the jewellery trade for the past 18 years. Engraving for the past three years or so. I also do gem carving when the mood hits me. I got into the jewelry game through my passion for mineral collecting. Started cabochon cutting at the age of 14 and progressed to faceting as well. These days my wife does all the gem cutting and besides being really good at what she does she loves it!
More recently I started knife making and forging damascus steel. Now I make the knives that I want to engrave on! Never a dull moment!
Old 09-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Copper

I have a home studio. Do a lot of enamel work and intending to expand into working the Basse Taille technique, hence my interest in engraving. It is not strictly engraving, but I need to learn the very basics as I have NO, nada, zippo, experience with gravers, how to set them up and how to sharpen them. Any suggestions about where I could glean information would be most appreciated.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Steel

Started making jewelry in 1984 when I herniated a disc while treeplanting. I used my Workers Comp settlement to get my Graduate Gemologist in residence at GIA, Santa Monica. While there I took a few extra courses on repair, and basic/advanced stone setting. I moved to Spokane, WA and, because of my experience and credentials was able to 'buy' a job for 10 cents over minimum wage! LOL That was in a trade shop, and expanded my skills exponentially while there, quality work at speed.
Next went to a custom high end store specializing in colored stones. I was told, "pick something from the safe and make something beautiful'. Quite the extensive instruction! 9 months later, the boss created a custom Celtic wedding band for an Icelandic Gentleman and posted on our readerboard "Celtic Knots Our Specialty" There were none in the store. So began the rest of my jewelry experience. I became known as "The Celtic Knothead"!
My boss died of cancer when I was 60, in 2008, and nobody would hire me...too experienced, too old, pick your reason. My wife and I went into business and opened our own store. It has been a struggle, but 7 years later we are still here. I am moving my website to a different host, so it isn't as kept up as it should be, but is mostly current. Here it is:
http://bockemuehljewelers.com/
Old 12-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Steel

You're working with Dane then. Just got a Christmas card from y'all. Is that you in the Santa costume?