Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,486. Welcome to our newest member, RayJohns
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Antique Engraver's Tools -Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Copper

Default Help me please identifying antique engraving contraption, pantograph, ellipsograph?

Dear engravers.

Recently I obtained an unusual contraption with gears, nibs, moving crank and a box. I am not sure what this contraption is but it looks like it is one of a kind pantograph, ellipsograph, scriber or engraving machine. It does not seem like a mass manufactured one. No letters, numbers or any signs on the parts. It is only 15 inches long. I looked through Google patents for ellipsographs and drafting tools but I could not find anything like this machine. I noticed traces of red ink, elliptical shapes on one of the round platforms and nibs with two holes. If you know what is this and when it was made, please let me know. This contraption was discovered in United States.

Thank you so much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (107.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (134.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (103.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (117.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 06.jpg (129.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-16-2014, 01:19 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Help me please identifying antique engraving contraption, pantograph, ellipsograp

a very interesting item. with no marks, it could be a prototype of sorts by the inventor, or sponsoring company that may have expressed an interest in manufacturing it. i'd really enjoy seeing just what this thing does. i wish you luck in finding out.
after a better look-- two equally sized "tables". one side may have held a "master" design that by transfer, may reproduce on the other side. 1 : 1, perhaps with changeable ratios. just a guess. there are router based duplicator machines that do this, but without the complexity seen here.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Copper

Default Re: Help me please identifying antique engraving contraption, pantograph, ellipsograp

It reminds me of a Geometric chuck used on Ornamental Lathes. They were used to cut geometric patterns on wood turnings. They also had a adapter that would allow you to use a nib and paper to draw the patterns on a piece of paper. The nib would stay stationary and the paper would be moved via the gear assembly to create the patterns. Awhile back you could get something called a Spirograph that with the plastic gears you could create a number of Geometric patterns. This could be a older version of that, much more complicated. What happens when you turn the crank?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Copper

I saw one of these years ago,, in Europe,, it was explained that it was a pattern copier.. you mounted the master out line in one side ,using the long bar with a blunt nib in the master and a sharp cutter on the other end. you could make a number of copies.. mostly from the understanding of the history it was for making the Family Engraved Crest shield that most Home' had. the ink was used for marking and lay out.. How true this history is I can not attest.

I was in the Alps learning some Engraving styles from an engraver there I meet riding my Harley in the mountains..