Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Steel

Default Hello from Down Under!

Hello Steve et al,
'Awesome' has become such a meaningless, throw-away word that I don't use it any more, however, the workmanship, tools and equipment I've seen on this site over the past few days is truly awe-inspiring!

I was a furniture restorer for 25+ years, encompassing such skills as cabinet-making, chair-making, carving, gilding, general wood finishing, locksmithing, wrought iron work (mainly hinges), foundry work (mostly replacement furniture brasses) etc. etc.

One skill I've always longed to master (but never made time to indulge in) is engraving. I've dabbled at 'engraving' - actually chasing some cast replacement brasses to sharpen up the detail, but I really want to give it a proper go.

Where once I had a full wood-working shop and metal-working shop (MIG and TIG welders, lathe etc., my circumstances have changed (I'm now housebound) and I don't own so much as a screwdriver anymore.

My hands were once my most prized tools, but now I have hands like feet and everything is a struggle to manipulate. In the past I would have easily knocked up a suitable bench and stands, but I'm now going to have to spend money I can barely afford on a 'beginner's' kit.

If I had the money to spare, I would immediately invest in a Lindsay PalmControl as I believe, from what I've read that it is the easiest tool to master. I've also read several experts express the opinion that you can't call yourself an engraver until you've, so-to-speak, served an apprenticeship with a hand graver. I would normally agree with that philosophy as I'm an old-fashioned craftsman, but my disabilities leave me with poor eye, hand and foot coordination and I therefore need any and all advantages I can muster.

Having said all that, I'm going to invest in a single square graver and some of Steve Lindsay's sharpening equipment (assuming he ships internationally – I've just emailed him to enquire).

An engraving block, scope and honing centre are all a long distance off for me, but are there any other essentials a novice such as myself requires that I have overlooked? Would it be worth my while buying some instructional DVDs and if so, which ones can anyone recommend?

By the way, in my research over the past few weeks, I came across a nifty block set-up which would probably suit many amateurs and professionals alike (see attached picture).

I also found a link to royalty-free artwork that I haven't seen links to on this or any other carving-related site, so hopefully it will be useful to some: http://www.fotosearch.com/illustrati...thus-leaf.html

I hope I haven't bored you all senseless with my introduction and I look forward to 'meeting' some of you in due course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beginners_block_01.jpg (136.7 KB, 140 views)
Old 02-04-2008, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Hello from Down Under!

Welcome aboard Mate! This is a great place to learn, share and bounce ideas off other helpful people. As you probably already know there is a lot of eye candy that pops up here pretty often. Post often and show your work when you start.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Platinum

Welcome Gravy
Steve makes the best tools, the emgraving ball/vise you posted should work just fine. Good luck Dave
Old 02-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Platinum

Welcome on board Gravy ;-)

Last edited by rbaptiste; 02-05-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:11 AM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover

Glad you came to join us Gravy

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Platinum

Welcome Gravy,
Steves PC is the only thing you need plus his new sharping system and you can take it anywhere to engrave...
Jerry
Old 02-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Platinum

My first engraving vice was a bowling ball, the top third cut away, and a machinist's vice bolted to it, sitting on an old rubber tire. Worked pretty good until I got the urge to upgrade when the money was available. As far as tools, get whatever you can afford and prectice, practice, practice.