Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,486. Welcome to our newest member, RayJohns
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 11-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Default Book: Engraving Historic Firearms, by John Schippers

John Schippers book is being published and is expected to be released mid Dec.
http://airgraver.com/Engraving-Histo...-Schippers.htm

John has been working on this book for a very long time. At the CLA show a few years ago he had some of the pages of the book. There was a lot of very good how-to information. 445 pages and 2130 photographs and illustrations.

www.AirGraver.com
Old 11-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Book: Engraving Historic Firearms, by John Schippers

Look nice, congrats to your work and time.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Platinum

Steve,Glad to see John Schippers book Engraving Historic Firearms is finely on sale.I always heard nice comments about John and his engraving class at Conner Prairie school from his students.J.J.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover

Thanks for the heads up Steve

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Platinum

Having a pre-printing copy of the book for a few months let me say it is an outstanding resource. The strong point of the book is in the how-to information and photographs of historic types of engraving. The section on borders is just wonderful in the fact that it includes so many in one place and walks you through the steps to cut them all. John has waited a long time to get this in print and I am glad the NMLRA was able to help him with it!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Platinum

I also had access to a draft copy of the Shippers book for a few months. First I would like to say don't let the title of the book throw you off if you don't intend to engrave muzzle loading firearms. This is an excellent book for anyone intending to learn engraving, regardless of the things you intend to engrave. It is absolutley the best text I have seen for those who want to learn with hammer & chisel and burin. Manual sharpening methods are also very well covered.

I fully expect that John's book will supplant Meek's Art of Engraving as the recommended beginner text. Neither I nor anyone I ever discussed it with could learn graver sharpening from the Meek book. This will not be a problem with the Shippers book. Also the Meek book has not been revised in well over 30 years so does not mention the latest air engraving systems or sharpening fixtures. Those systems are covered in the Shippers book even though its primary instruction is for H&C.

I should note Shippers' unique method of H&C engraving. He teaches beginners to hold the chisel in the strong hand and the hammer in the weak hand while cutting toward yourself (similar to the Asian method but using opposite hands). I think that Shippers' method makes a lot of sense for one who has never used H&C. However, for someone who already is moderately skilled in the sidehand or European style of H&C cutting it is not a problem to use the Shippers book. You can just keep cutting in the style you are acustomed to and still benefit from the vast amount of information on the other topics.

At $129.95 the Shippers book is much more expensive than the Meek book but it is well worth the extra money. It is really a small cost to learn a craft that can become an occupation.

As an experienced engraver who has used every method and tool system, I fully intend to buy a copy of the new book because there is still plenty in it for people like me.

CRB
Old 11-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Gold

I have taken John's course at Conner Praire and I have had an advance copy for a couple of years now. It really is a wonderful text, loaded with a wealth of information. Highly recommended.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Platinum

I agree with Roger - I saw his prepublish copy at the Ohio Gun Collectors Show in October. This is a good all-around book for gunmakers and engravers,

I ordered a copy just now - had to have one!
Old 11-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Yahoo to mtgraver

I agree with everyone, a must have in the library. I had the pleasure of teasing John while sitting in on one of his Conner Prairie classes some years ago. A wealth of knowledge and help for those that want to learn, I'm glad to see it's coming to print. Ordered mine last week, .
Mark
Old 12-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Steel

As a learning engraver, how could I ignore all all of the recommendations above from such masters of engraving.

I could not, and just now ordered this lovely appearing book.

Best Regards;
Steve Howell
Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Platinum

This book sure looks like a must have book.
AirAmp
Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Platinum

Was at an NMLRA board of Directors meeting yesterday and got to see a copy of the book as it will appear off of the presses. All of the pre-production copies were ran off of an inkjet printer or color copier onto regular paper so they were not quite of the quality the production book is. The real book is also thinner due to the better coated paper stock. Images are great and like the early copies it is spiral bound so it will lay flat on a table or bench for easy reference while working from it. It is going to be a great book!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Platinum

Default Received my copy of the John Shippers Engraving book today.

My copy came in the mail today so others should be seeing them real soon! They have been shipping for a few days now.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Steel

Default Re: Received my copy of the John Shippers Engraving book today.

What are your impressions of the book?
Thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Yahoo to mtgraver

Mike,
I received mine today and was quite impressed with the volume of knowledge that John shares. I only got to leaf through for a short glance but was amazed at the number of borders just for an instance. One of the last pages is the most moving and compassionate pleas of encouragement to people with learning disabilities and I would like John to know that it was very inspiring and Thank you. I think it may have been Roger who had commented that this my replace Meek's book and I would agree but for now they will occupy the shelf together.
Congratulations John on a great piece of work and I'm honored to have a copy.
Mark
Old 12-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Platinum

Thanks for the comments Mark! I will let John know what you said, we had a talk about that late this summer when I was down to his shop. It is a great book and has so much graphical information that it is just hard to consume in the first fe looks. I have had a copy around since this summer and cant that I have really gotten the chance to look at everything. There is a lot of information in it for everyone beginner or accomplished engraver. Like you said just the page on borders is wonderful and there is an entire section on how to cut everyone of them. This holds true for about everything in there as he includes instructions from the time you pick up a tool for the first time until you are cutting complicated elements. Great book for craftsmen.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Platinum

Where do you get it?
How much?mike
Old 12-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Our supply of books must have shipped at the same time as yours. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. We have boxes ready to go so we can get them sent out right away to fill the orders. I can't wait to see the finished books too.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Platinum

Thanks Steve!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Platinum

I would like to have a copy signed if possible, if not send one Steve...
Jerry
Old 12-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Platinum

I think John is going to do a signing at Friendship during the National Matches next year, I will keep everyone posted on it. We are working on having him do some classes in our new Education Building as well then too.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Platinum

I would also like to extend the invitation to anyone out there that might be looking for a place to hold a class on any traditional craft to contact myself or the NMLRA. This past spring we finished our Education building which is an 11,000 square foot climate controlled facility with two hands on bench type classrooms, a hot shop area and two classroom type areas available for instruction. We would like to work this into a traditional craft center so feel free to contact me or the NMLRA for more information.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Steel

I would like to thank everyone for there nice response to my new book. I worked on this book for over 10 years and it is now quite hard for me to believe that it is now published and ready for everyone to see. Again thank you to my supporters. If you have any questions I would be more then happy to help. John Schippers
Old 12-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Platinum

I have a bit of a dumb question about the book… Is it solely for gun engravers or other types of engravers can learn from it (beside of the general enlightenment from a book)? Does it cover push graving, chisel engraving or both?
Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Platinum

Omri,If your interested in the hammer,chisel & bruin technique this is the book for you.I have'nt recieved my book yet but I believe you will learn many new techniques. J.J.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Administrator

I received the books in on Wednesday and we packed them up in flat rate priority mail boxes. The majority of book orders were shipped Thursday. People should be receiving their orders any day.

I've been reading through the book. As people are saying, it is going to replace Meeks book... There is a lot of information there. If someone thinks they are going to sit down and read/absorb it from cover to cover in one evening...well there is no way. The information in it is like five Meeks books packed into one. It covers hammer/chisel and many techniques and tricks. Also it goes through power tools including the AirGraver and PalmControl. I am guessing it is because John has taught engraving for so may years in the community college setting it resulted his writing being done so well in a no-nonsence method explaining techniques and methods. I think that for years to come, this book is going to be a great help to anyone learning the art. Even engravers who are already established are going learn new helpful tips that John has been doing.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Platinum

Steve,
I received my copy on Weds also and your assessment is entirely correct. I did a page by page scan thru first and am now on page 126 reading it. It's hands above Meeks technical manual in its clarity and simplicity. It's obvious that John is neither a teacher or an instructor. He is a facilitator of learning which is the best of all worlds. Hopefully the book will remain in print for many years to come.

Dave
Old 12-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Platinum

Steve, I received my book Engraving Historic Firearms by John Shippers and it is everything that everyone has said about it.This a must have book for anyone interested in fine engraving techniques and muzzleloading firearms.Congratulation John on job well done.J.J.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Steel

Steve;

I received my Schippers book today. I am WOWstruck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Howell
Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Gold

Here's another vote for this book outdoing Meeks. I have just recieved it and wish I would have had this 15 years ago...wow. Steve's review of it is spot on. This is a must have for the engraver's library.

Rod
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Steel

Cant wait, wife just ordered this for my christmas present.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Copper

I have every book I can find on engraving...this is by far the best..money well spent if your worried about that.there is a little of everything in here in good detail.. Great book thank you
Old 12-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Steel

Been doing some last minute Christmas shopping , enjoyed spending time with my wife (even shopping). As is usual not a thing in the stores is any interest to me ....Suzanne is pleased with the latest new tech toys and made her selections

(those gadgets don't get me excited, and I would be completely at the salesman's mercy if I tried to pick it out for her without her input).

Meanwhile for some weeks now my wife bless her keeps asking is there anything she can get me that I want?

...so when we got home we ordered this book from Steve's site, and its gift problem solved

... the pressure's off she has gotten something I want today and will still want next year and for years to come

...no need to rush or worry about shipping Steve , would rather you enjoy the holidays (no rush because I expect to enjoy the book for a long time)

Merry Christmas to All
Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post

...no need to rush or worry about shipping Steve , would rather you enjoy the holidays (no rush because I expect to enjoy the book for a long time)
Hi Bill, Too late.. I see Karla has it packed and in the mail already. Thanks again for the order. I'm sure you're going to like it.

Merry Christmas tomorrow everyone.

www.AirGraver.com
Old 12-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Steel

Just got the book in the mail today. This is perfect for me anyways. Answers so many questions on the H&C style of engraving, and there are a ton of great pictures of old firearms with wonderful engraving on them. Really recommend this to any one thinking about it.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Platinum

Corey,
Follow his outline for progression and perform the tasks he indicates in order. Resist the temptation to jump around like a fart in a whirlwind and you will advance faster.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Steel

Good advice, will try. Took a quick look thru it today and there is alot of info to read thru. Gonna take a while just to read and absorb it all. Will be nice to go thru it like you mentioned kind of like a study plan. The joys of teaching ones self hobbies and arts.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Platinum

Corey,Please resist one temptation jumping on a firearm or a knife,practice,practice,I practiced for two years before I engraved any gun parts.And the gun parts I did engrave were old parts like floor plates,shotgun side plates, that I found at gun shows they were my new practice plates.After that I started to do gun shows,that was 39 years ago.Enjoy Mr.Shippers new book much to be learned and take you time draw and practice and it will all fall together.J.J.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Steel

Thanks for helping drain my "play money" reserve. (Ok it's pretty much drained already)

Kidding aside, I may never engrave firearms but I HAVE to get this book!

Patrice Lemee
Old 12-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Platinum

Got mine and am completely blown away. This will become the "new" study guide for all engravers, novice as well as experienced!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Un View Post
Got mine and am completely blown away. This will become the "new" study guide for all engravers, novice as well as experienced!
I agree wholeheartedly. It will be the new study guide for a long time.
Thanks again Mr. Schippers
Old 12-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Steel

I have it, have been studying it. If you join the NMLRA, the book is only $79.95.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Platinum

Thanks Steve for fast shipping, Great Book and hope to get it signed some day...
You right Bill...
Jerry
Old 12-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Platinum

Quote:
If you join the NMLRA, the book is only $79.95.
Nope, that was a pre-publication promotion which ended Dec 7th.

Dave
Old 01-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Steel

My book came Jan. 7, from the N.M.L.R.A......This is a well put together book for the beginner or the master.. Like Mr. Schippers stated in his book, at that time frame, there was little book knowledge to be had, and those in the know, would not share their secrets. It wasn"t until Meeks book the ART OF ENGRAVING, came out in the mid 1970"s , that people finally had a starting point.... For thirty years, people praised its virtue for the foundations it put down, and rightly so !! iT DID HAVE FLAWS !! Like Roger stated, he never met anyone who could read Meeks book, then go out a sharpen a graver !!!!!!!! My only saving grace in that time period, was I WAS A MACHINIST.. I knew the graver needed clearance... Another book that had a flaw, and almost stopped me from pursuing engraving was, GUN ENGRAVING REVIEW by E.C.Prudhomme, 1961...In it, he stated that the first reqirement is the ability to draw,lacking this,it was almost impossible to become a fine engraver..The only thing I could draw in those days was Woody Woodpecker !! But, it got me to thinking----the engravers in the old days also used pattern books, so they weren"t really using their own stuff after all. Not that they didn"t have the ability, but they may have been working under a master engraver or a business.. That gave me hope...One thing about the old books and their flaws, it gave time for others not make the same mistakes . Engraving Historic Firearms has elimitated those mistakes and corrected others. If you are just starting out or haven"t been at it very long, this should be your first peice of equipment...
Old 01-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Platinum

As you know I’m a beginner in the engravings art, such a beginner that I don’t have all of the basic equipment yet. Since my budget is small I buy the equipment few at a time. I started by buying some books about engravings, Lynton McKenzie book among them but Meeks book is not. All these books are like other educational books that I’ve read, they require a lot of trials, errors and autodidactically until you fully understand what they meant.

So I didn’t expected Jhon Sehippers book to be different. The high amount of extremely good reviews, especially Roger Bleile saying “I would have sold my sister to the gypsies to have a manual like this when I was beginning over 30 years ago”, made considered buying it. So I changed my purchases order and ordered a copy, saying that worst part I would have another book (which is a great thing! ).

I just came back from the post office with my copy and skimmed it from cover to cover. I have only one thing to say and its “Wow”, this is probably the best educational book I have ever seen. It is printed on a high quality paper, all of the pages are in full colors. The drawings used to explain different subjects are the most understandable I have ever seen. Jhon explained in most detailed way exactly how scrolls and borders are cut. The book also has tons of high quality pictures of engraved firearms as examples.

If this book is so amazing in a glance I can only imagine how it would be to read it.

If you are a beginner, don’t hesitate and buy this book, its worth much more then what you pay for it.

Jhon, I want to thank you for writing this book. Its well felt that your book holds your many years of experience .
Old 01-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Steel

Ormi, you hit it on the button.....It is ready to use from the box; you dont have to add gas or oil, but you do have to read the instructions !!! GOOD LUCK...I might add, that Roger has a few more books than myself, BUT, I think he also had more sisters than I....
Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Steel

The money I have spent over the years buying tools, books and other engravers work, You'd think I'd have enough. I can't help my self. There can't be a better way to support the craftsmen than spending a little green to reward their effort and dedication.

My bucket list will be complete when others recognize my effort, skill and dedication.

Until then... I'll keep spending green and cutting steel..

John.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Copper

An absolutely wonderful book for beginers...far more instruction than can be absorbed in several readings...love it. By the way, does anyone have an email address or contact information for Mr. Schippers??
Old 03-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Platinum

If it were'nt for Meek's book The Art of Engraving would we be here talking about the subject of engraving today? I got my start with Meeks book and I did have a problem understanding the sharping of the gravers, but I did get help from Roy Vail gun builder & engraver.John wrote a fine book but Im glad I did'nt have to wait for it to come out. J.J.