PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie

NevadaBlue
01-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Hello all. I'm overwhelmed with this art/craft form. I've just received my PC and accessories from Steve. WOW! What a beautiful tool.
I have never done any engraving, I'm not an artist, but for some reason, I'm doing this. I hope that you are all patient with me and I'll try to turn out some work that is worthy of Steve's effort making the engraving tools for me.
KurtB is to blame. :) He posted on a gunsmithing site that we both frequent and planted the seed; it took root. :D
I'm off to Nicaragua for a year this Saturday, working on a construction crew, in a man camp, building a mill for a gold mine. I'm taking the PC and tools, intending to run it off a CO2 bottle (a big one). So, I'll probably be asking a lot of the normal newbie questions and hopefully getting the hang of engraving.
Ken

mike koller
01-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Hello Ken,
Welcome to the madness:yesnod:
If you haven't already gotten the "The Art of Engraving" by James Meek I would highly recommend it. I have had an interest in drawing, painting, ... for over 30 years. As with all things, I haven't devoted enough time to it... but the book mentioned above is awesome and should be of great help.

Safe journey and I hope you are taking a camera :coolgleamA:

Steve Ellsworth
01-02-2008, 12:18 PM
do not attempt to hand carry your tools
pack them in baggage and get lots of insurance
rod ran into trouble with gravers being listed as weapons
of small destruction since they are sharp

NevadaBlue
01-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. Steve told me to carry the PC and call it a 'handle'. :)
And the sharpies go in checked baggage. One of the bags for sure will get opened, it has a vast array of gas regulators, hoses, the gravers, a battery drill and 10 pounds of screws. LOL, I'll build a shop if I have to.

And, yes, I have 2 cameras. :)

mike koller
01-02-2008, 06:49 PM
the reason for the camera(s) is two fold...
1) just being able to recall the memories
2) reference of people faces, buildings, etc... that you can use when pursuing your art. Many artist have these references in their files to recall when needed.

NevadaBlue
01-17-2008, 01:36 PM
here's a view of 'home'
I should find some cowboy stuff here :)

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL944/4189363/18816560/299031357.jpg

mike koller
01-17-2008, 09:22 PM
I have told many that know me well... If I ever get to go west, I may never return.

Brass_Chocolatier
01-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Wait a minute....
I visit that site also! You guys just helped me out with a slide problem :)

Mike's suggestion about Meek's book is dead on. It starts with basic drawing skills and moves on up from there.

I'm trying to save up for a PC but between college fee's and books, I'm broke :)

Drawing is cheap thought and you can always sketch ideas when you can't grab a graver.

-Paul

Gail
01-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Ken,
That is a pretty picture of 'home'! It looks as though there is no problem with overcrowding either.
I hope you enjoy your job and travels. The PC will be nice to have for your spare time, if there is any.
Gailm

NevadaBlue
02-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Well, I finally got a few minutes to run the PC for the first time. WOW, Steve that is an amazing little machine. I carved on a Nicaraguan coin, of course had to try following some lines. I am absolutely blown away by the way the PC works. Now I have to find some material for practice plates. Tomorrow is a day off (finally) so I'm going to hunt some metal to torture. :)

Steve Lindsay
02-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Well, I finally got a few minutes to run the PC for the first time. WOW, Steve that is an amazing little machine. I carved on a Nicaraguan coin, of course had to try following some lines. I am absolutely blown away by the way the PC works. Now I have to find some material for practice plates. Tomorrow is a day off (finally) so I'm going to hunt some metal to torture. :)

Hi Ken, Okay, good. I'm glad you are liking the tool! Keep us posted what you do to some metal today. Thanks again! Steve