PDA

View Full Version : Stippling

Rob Meixner
07-16-2021, 03:16 PM
I need to learn to stipple. So far my efforts are less than satisfactory. I have a MRTHE stippling template that seems to basically create a sharp point. When I try to stipple, it just gets stuck in the metal and I have to physicaly move it to the next spot. I have tried dulling the point, but it doesn't help. I have stippled for years on silver with a very sharp hard metal point mounted on my Foredom hammer piece. I can draw a line of stipple and it goes very quickly. I could keep using this hammer tool, but it seems to me that I should learn to stipple with my air graver. Can anyone offer some suggestions. Thanks...Rob

Steve Lindsay
07-16-2021, 03:46 PM
Hi Rob, Set the stroke at a long length and hold the point somewhat light on the surface so that it can bounce. The tungsten piston will be helpful too.

Sam Welch
07-17-2021, 05:49 AM
I don't use the tungsten piston but otherwise do as Steve suggests. I hold the airgraver like a pencil and then use the thumb of my left hand against my right thumb as added control. I hold the point just above the metal and then lightly make contact. This seems to stop all "digging in" of the point. It is all really just firm control of the tool. Takes some practice but you will get the hang of it.

Rob Meixner
07-17-2021, 06:44 AM
Thanks...Rob

Sam Welch
07-17-2021, 06:27 PM
Rob, let us know if this works for you.

Rob Meixner
07-18-2021, 06:36 AM
I followed Steve's advice and it did the trick. I hadn't adjusted the stroke of my airgraver yet and this made the difference. My stipple point is fairly sharp, I am going to experiment with different levels of dullness and shape to see what they do. I have stippled for years with my Foredom hammer piece, but with only one tool. I hope that having control over the shape of the tool will give me some different textures. I am also going to explore how I might be able to use the air graver to move heavy bezel walls (1.0 - 1.5 mm). Right now I use a hammer and various brass and steel punches shaped to match the wall. More when I know it...Rob