PDA

View Full Version : New from San Diego

Chapi
09-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi,
I have been lurking here for a couple of months and having just received my new airgraver, I decided it was time I introduced myself. My name is Chap Walker and I have been making a living from Art for the last 13 years, and feel quite capable artistically, that is until I scratched up my first practice plate. This is definately not as easy as you guys make it look(and believe me, I have looked and looked at those youtube videos). Right now I have about a yard of flat iron that I am cutting into 3 inch pieces, and then practicing as per the Meeks book's recomendation. I am having a little trouble with depth control(my thumb is sore from running over burrs all day), and a little bit of a control issue that I think will resolve itself once I get a proper vice, instead of a lazy susan meant for cake decoration. :willy_nilly:

john88
01-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Chapi Just read your thread to day I also live in san diego and am a retired engraver
I don't think there is any engravers left in s . d. I sold most my tools about five years ago i'm an old man now but I found some old tools and other engraving odds that you might be interested in I was going to post them on the forum several times but didn't if your interested let me know e mail jack010720@sbcglobal.net John88

DaveN
01-05-2009, 11:14 AM
My Name is Dave Neblett, retired engineer, wood worker, student. After retiring I have spent 10 years at Palomar college 8 in wood working , 1 in jewelry and 1 in ceramics. My engraving started with a course with Brian Marshall in Stockton last year and I am still at the practice plate and Buck knife phase. But I think I am ready for a Uberti 1866 or 1876 rifle.

cooper
01-05-2009, 11:38 AM
wow so many engravers in california!im in riverside.i lived in pacificbeach. i have been engraving c. 1992 goodluck cooper

Chapi
01-09-2009, 05:27 PM
lol I just checked in on this thread and found all these responses! John, I will definately email you about those gravers. I am just starting out and need just about anything, thank you! I think there is one H&C engraver that works the gun shows, but other than that, I haven't seen any others. I think we all know why there is a scarcity of firearms engravers in San Diego- not a lot of high end firearms ownership here-the rich are too liberal.