PDA

View Full Version : Hi, Gary from Manchester, tools & tips for slate engraving

tysfoot
06-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi,
This is my first post.
Im gary 28 from manchester, uk

I wanted to know what tools and equipment is needed to create simple slate house number plates

I would eventually like to get into bigger and complex engraving but as a starter im thinking house slate engraving might be a good start to see if i have the patience

I would also like to make a little money along the way but mainily i would like a new hobby

Any advive on tool, tequniques and tips would be great

Daniel Houwer
06-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Tsyfoot

By slate you mean the flaky stone right?
Whenn I was only 15 I carved slate for a while. Something like a sharpened screwdriver was my weapon of choice back then. But good flat gravers and maybe even diamond burrs would be my choice today if I would like too pick it up again
Maybe slate is something completely different from stone, and then I think I just proved my englisch is not as good as I think.

Greetings,

Daniel

tysfoot
06-04-2009, 02:31 AM
will i need a sandblasting machine, i cant find enough information about what equipment is needed and the process to create these signs

PS_Bond
06-04-2009, 05:52 AM
The only slate engraving I've messed with I used a chunk of 1/4" square O1 hardened & ground the same way as a regular graver and a small hammer. Very, very messy to do though - slate dust everywhere. Sandblasting I've seen used on harder stone, such as granite.

rbaptiste
06-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Welcome on this forum, I hope you will find all informations here

tysfoot
06-04-2009, 06:14 AM
i cant seem to find any imformation on this subject, ive emailed a few companies but theye are overseas and i cant seem to find a supplier of equipment that allows you to create lettering and numbering into slate nor can i find suppliers of slate, any help guys

SVD
06-04-2009, 08:10 AM
I don't know if Gargoyle posts over here or just at the Engraver's Cafe but he does stone carving and would definitely know what you need.

A new member who I know is here (although I don't know how often) named Shane lives near me and has been showing me some very nice stuff he's doing on stones / bricks with an air-powered rotary tool. But that's a totally different look then what I think you're after.

tysfoot
06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
cheers, ill send him a quick email soon

this is the sort of work i would like to get into

http://www.timpson.com/online-store/type.asp?type_id=102&cat_id=22

or even better

http://www.stoneengravings.co.uk/product%20pages/slt12x6sty.html

Daniel Houwer
06-04-2009, 03:31 PM
That looks very good Tysfoot.
But it also looks like some engraving machines are used.
Like a pantograph with a diamond burr or a hard metal burr.
Getting the letter templates seems the biggest problem.

phil
06-05-2009, 12:47 PM
hi there. if you want to try your hand at slate engraving contact Inigo Jones slateworks in north wales.

Roger Bleile
06-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Tysfoot,

The engraved slate sign reading 47 APPLE ORCHARD was clearly done by sand blasting. The process is the same as for granite grave markers. Quite unrelated to the work of hand engraving I'm afraid.

CRB

sitedezynz
01-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Hi Gary,
I know this post is old. I just joined and found your post and would like to offer an answer. Looking at the examples of the type of work you want to do involves precision work. In order to do that you will either need to sand blast or use a CNC table. They are quite expensive. You can look up CNC engraving to get the details. Otherwise, if you wanted a more "hand made" appearance then I would suggest using a rotary tool such as a Dremel. You can create your own templates or download templates. Using the Dremel is quite messy and kicks up a lot of very fine dust so wear a mask and goggles.
Hope that helps.:cheers2[1]:

Bunic
01-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Gary,

Not all such stone carving is sandblasted. Much of it is handcarved using manual and pneumatic hammers and chisels.

Suppliers are plentiful in the US. Just Google 'stone carving supplies' and make you choice.

Here are a couple pieces I've handcarved:

Limestone and Marble (slate chips very easily as it is so layered).

Good luck!!

Roger Bleile
01-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Very nice carving Bunic:yo[1]:

graniteguy52
01-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Gary from Manchester,
I have seen some fine stone engravings done with a relatively inexpensive sand blaster ($20 to $30) from a place like Harbor Freight, a bag of silicon sand, several layers of duct tape, and Xacto blade. And of course an air compressor. And if your like me some letters/numbers to trace onto the tape before cutting them out.
Good Luck with your slate engraving
Graniteguy52

Maggie
05-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm interested in this too: I want to make permanent labels for some recently planted trees and plan to use slate, but wondered what tool I would need to engrave it. Inigo Jones and his ilk won't do these labels as they are too thin and break too easily, but I thought I could do it myself with something like the tool used for engraving dog discs/trophies etc. I am a complete beginner/ignoramus, have never engraved anything in my life, but there are 157 trees so it seemed possibly worth getting some equipment to try doing the engraving myself.

Not sure you would get advice from Inigo Jones about house names as that's his territory, but I suppose you are far enough away not to be competition, Gary! There certainly must be templates etc available as lots of people do it, also gravestones and so on - pretty common in this (N Wales) and presumably other slate-producing areas.

Maggie

Titian
05-21-2010, 06:28 AM
Hello I'm Panja from Thailand.