View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Steel

Default Re: Air Graver for wood?

Janel,

I agree with Steve that the tool should work very well for fine 3D carving work (wood or metal). Although I don't really have any photos of anything other than some shallow relief carving, I have experimented with the tool enough to feel comfortable that that statement. I know it has a lot of potential in this area. I have made one tool using carbalt and it will probably last forever.

I have been traveling extensively and working out of state on a large project for the past four years and just haven't had much time to experiment with my Classic tool. Most of my carving on banjo necks during this period has been done in hotel rooms. I've modified a few palm chisels, veiners and small gouges for use with the tool and they really work very nicely. It has been a frustration to me not to be able to use it more. Most of my use with it has been on brass and bronze banjo and mandolin parts on the weekends. I intend to do a lot more with it in for carving including making a number of specialized tools and scrapers, etc. I also think it might be great using knives and small flat chisels to clear areas away. If I have more time to fool with it in this area I'll post again with how it's working.

(Jim Kelso - Sorry, I don't have any photos of the Trout banjo handy, but I'll try to dig some up. Most of the trout theme is done with engraved pearl inlays on the fingerboard. It's fitted with a 1929 Vega 11 13/16" Tubaphone tone ring and my banjo buddies have nick named it "The Troutaphone"....)

Best,
Glenn C.