View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Steel

Default Re: Air Graver for wood?

Hi Art,

Just noticed your post. You can get a Vega/Faribanks pattern booklet from First Quality Music

First Quality Music, P.O. Box 581038, Louisville, KY 40268

800-635-2021

http://www.fqms.com/Vega_Pattern_Set_P12660.cfm

ID #: P231C
PRICE: $10.50

I have collected a large number of photos of original heel carvings and can assist with some of those if you get stuck. Ebay, Bernunzio, Gruhn, Frets, etc are some sites that you can find good close ups of original carvings.

If you get stuck, email me. Also, if you have joined the Yahoo banjo makers
site I think I still have some carving and engraving photos there including some that show how I do mine. I lay them out by hand on the heel using a soft pencil. If I am reproducing something original I draw it on one side while referring to photos. Then I do the second side using the side that is drawn for reference. I usually just hold the pencil in my fingers and lock it in place to make reference marks to the outside of the larger scroll sections and transfer them to the other side. When you do this from the fingerboard, heel and bottom of the neck, you end up with three reference points. It is very fast and also accurate. You end up with horizontal and vertical pencil lines that make it easy to exactly duplicate the scrolls and carving that you drew on the first side.

Love to see what you are doing sometime too.

Regards,

Glenn C.