View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Copper

Default Re: Air Graver for wood?

Thanks very much. No, I have not yet considered seriously working on knife handles or other additions to larger projects in collaboration with other's work. It could be interesting though.

The bump texture is called ukibori, in Japanese. A quick description of the technique: The wood used in the piece you viewed is carved from boxwood. The subject is carved to nearly the degree of finishing, with just a little extra depth. That surface is finish sanded. A metal punch, formed as you wish it to be formed, is set on the surface of the wood and rapped with a small hammer. It may be done by hand as well, but would be tiring with many repetitions. Once the compressions are all in place, shave and sand the surface down to the low part of the compressions with the finish sanding grit paper. Apply hot water and watch the wood expand into the bumps. Magic! Let the wood dry and do a light sanding of a higher number (I think that with this wood sanded from 400 to 600 wet dry paper is adequate). Magic! From there I add more textures and carry on with completing other details. Thanks for asking.

Janel

Last edited by Janel; 05-30-2006 at 10:07 PM.