View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Steel

Default Re: Carbon Fiber compressed air tanks for AirGraver

I have just installed a scuba system "powered" system. I live in the UK. I am also a scuba instructor.

FWIW, a few UK ammendments to the above.

A SCUBA Cylinder in the UK must be looked over at the time of each fill, and is by law certified every 2.5 years. If it fails re-cert for any reason it is chopped in two or drilled by the fill station rendering it useless.

All low pressure ports in SCUBA first stage regulators should give out a 6 to 8 bar pressure. This low pressure varies per regulator and age hence it is worth getting the low pressure port of SCUBA regulator checked if you are considering using it to reduce the SCUBA tank pressure to the useable 8 Bar to mimic a compressor input to a Airgraver control regulator. The dual regulator that Steve has sent has a stated max input pressure of 10 bar.
As SCUBA air has to be contaminant free (water etc) it takes a lot of worries about the quality of air away. It costs about £3 for a 12 litre tank 300 bar fill. (according to my calculations about 270 hours of using an air graver based on the figure of 5 hours for a 20oz Co2 fill)

Now, for the UK and Europe, the important bit. Steves dual regulator set-up are supplied with a 1/8 NPT input (female) thread - this is an American thread that is not used in the UK - we use 1/8 BSP. You can screw a 1/8 BSP male thread into an 1/8 NPT female thread as the threads are similar, but they are not the same. For your integrity you should get a 1/8 NPT male to a 1/8 BSP female thread converter. It is 50p and your engraver is worth a lot more.

Finally use the quick connector male for a low pressure inflator hose (threaded for 1/8 BSP) to connect to the input (via the NPT adapter) of the dual regulator. Now with first stage regulator fixed upon the tank valve attach the drysuit hose from the low pressure port of the diving first stage regulator into the dual regulator supplied by Steve, check for leaks, and it should work.
NOTE: in the UK there are about 3 different types of these quick fit drysuit inflator connectors, it helps if to get the right connector for the hose, but some are interchangeable; my advice buy both connector and hose as a set.

Also it is worth pointing out that all the CO2 threads that are standard in the USA are not internationally standard and the vast majority of paintball estabilishments in the UK are now air not CO2 and are very wary of non-paintballers. I am still investigating the paint ball bottles with respect to the CO2 reg that Steve sells, a further update will be forth coming.

T