View Single Post
Old 04-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Steel

Default Re: Air Graver for wood?

Thanks guys,
I appreciate the comments, positive or otherwise coming from the likes of you'all. I was thinking about how much I would have given for something like this back in the early 70's when I was trying to figure out how to engrave, carve and inlay pretty much in a vacuum. It really is neat to be able to bounce things off other folks that are into the same thing.

I appreciate the tip on the Ngraver wood tools, I will check them out for sure. To date, I have mainly used Steve's tool for doing the quick first outline of the heel patterns, it worked very well. I intend to experiment with it much more but due to work (I have been traveling each week for four years to an out of state project site), I only have an opportunity to engrave or use the tool on the weekends. Just about all of my most carving and pearl engraving has been done in my Hampden/Holiday Inn room "workshop" in the evenings for that reason. Pretty sad state of affairs for doing this kind of stuff, and I am ready for that to change soon. I've mainly been using the Classic to engrave brass and bronze banjo and mandolin parts, it has worked absolutely great for me. I would appreciate any tips from others who may have experimented with various grinds and/or angles for engraving brass and pearl in particular.

I'll post the tool photos later. Oh yeah, the banjo patterns in the photos are mostly Vega/Fairbanks (#7,#9, Deluxe), the middle pattern one in the photo with three is one of mine. The last two shots of the fly rod handle and violin tailpiece are actually quite a it larger than life, these weren't done with the Lindsay tool but would be the type of thing I would feel comfortable tackling with it and believe it would be really good for.
Best,
Glenn Carson