Thread: thoughts
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Steel

Default Re: thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cover
I tell you guys this has been a great thread. The historical stuff is beyond my area of expertise so I really can't participate much but I have loved the pics and it has been a very good read.:thumbsup:

Ry
Ray, Perhaps you could be of some help, at least to me.

This Thread has been an eye opener to me.For years, I have seen the beautiful engraving done on muzzle loading guns. ( even have collected a few pics etc of the "ornate ones) just for the enjoyment of the ART.

But I have realized 2 things (even @ my advanced age, I still can learn.)

Here is how I, personally, would like your imput. ( plus any other engravers on the forum )

1. Engraving is an ART. :whoo: I have "lurked" in other sections of the forum & I have REALY come to appreciate the work & ability it takes.
As I have been researching, I have seen on the earlier guns, engraving,casting, sheet work etc. Could you please point out ( on the examples I have posted {& others I will post} what is what ???

2. For this thread, I am putting together a series of posts, featuring the Scotish Pistols. The reason being, that these guns, until the mid-late 1800s, were engraved (some lavishly) And IMHO gives us an example of the transition fron the very ornate to the more "simple"
Here is my problem -
a. The engraving & decoaration, is one of the ways a gun is dated & authenticated as being made by a Scotish gun maker (ep. the early ones) But I keep running accros the terms - German style, mid-European style etc. At any given date what were these "STYLES"??? I also keep running into "patterns ( running foiage,pllmette leaves, rosettes,romanesque etc.

As I post the guns, can you (or others) assist in clarifing ??

Puffer