View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Gold

Default Need some assistance...

From those of you that have interest and knowledge in blackpowder firearms. I am aware this request is not engraving related but trust there might be someone here that can help.

Normally I can find most of what I am looking for by Googling, but this time I am coming short on this older "antique" single barrel, percussion, blackpowder shotgun.

It has a 40" barrel which starts octagonal at the breech plug for about 2", then is turned round to end of the barrel. The fore end of the stock is capped with steel and is part of the bottom portion of the barrel (much like the liner in-between a double barrel shotgun) and has two ram rod guides welded to it. Barrel is stamped "J Rickets, Mansfield O." Lockplate has "Henry Elwell Warranted" stamped into it. It also has what looks to have some scrollwork and some birds, much like a pheasant maybe? Hammer is also stamped with scroll also.

Single trigger with brass trigger guard and brass butt plate. It is nothing more than what I would consider a "wall hanger" but I would like to find out some of the history on it. Armed with some of that information I may be able to trade for some kit to start building me a working Hawken rifle.

Any assistance one might provide would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get a picture if my "point and shoot" will provide a decent one, soon.

Thanks.