View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Steel

Default Re: Interested in learning the art of engraving

Hello Leonel, and thank you for the warm welcome. I was thinking about taking classes, only, I was unable to find anything within my area in New York? I am sure it is very important who the teacher is as with any art being taught. Thank you for sharing that information with me. I will definitely be looking into classes, may have to travel in hopes of finding the right teacher? I have been doing a lot of research on the tools of the trade and can clearly see Lindsay tools are second to none, and choice pick for many professionals and hobbyist who are serious about the art of engraving. My problem is, due to lack of experience,, what system to choose that will best fit my needs? (this is where classes would be a big help, trying out tools hands on) I want a set up that is versatile. I am mainly interested in engraving metals, of all types, including heavy steel vintage truck parts as well as softer material /metals, and hopefully one day firearms once skilled enough to do so. I will be practicing with knives / cheap blades, vintage truck parts, and motorcycle parts, I have access to such scraps /supplies at no cost, not to mention a little scrap yard of my own sought of speak. Obviously I will have to slowly build up my tools as I go, to meet my needs as “hand e dave” mentioned, makes sense to me. I am truly enjoying the forum, learning and meeting members, and most of all, enjoying the wide range of art work from such skilled masters and beginners.