Thread: SikaStag
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Platinum

Default Re: SikaStag

Ian,

Thanks for the background information on your home, aspirations, and connection to Bill Sinclair.

For many Americans, deer stalking in Scotland is only a dream which will probably be unfulfilled. It sure seems like you are living the dream. That picture looks like my vision of heaven but I suppose it is pretty hard living there in the winter.

From what you wrote, it seems like your desire to become an engraver is deep and sincere. I think you know what you are getting into thanks to your aquaintance with Bill. I'm afraid that many who visit the engraving forums and ask questions only have a passing interest and think they will pick it up like learning to ride a bicycle. After a while you see their tools for sale or never hear from them again. Hand engraving is a life long endeavour which can be very rewarding but is yet a difficult path for all but a few who are specially gifted. I'm not gifted so I know what the average bloke is up against.

I will do what I can to help as you go and there are others here who have helped many. If you have researched this forum you will know that it all starts with the art. You can't engrave what you can't draw. You can work on some scroll designs with pencil and paper and post them here for input while you are waiting to get the tools. That Palm Control will provide you with the finest engraving tool ever conceived (in my opinoin) so your cutting should proceed at a smoother pace than learning hand pushing or H&C but don't expect it to perform miracles. You will have to get the feel of it and build muscle memory like with any manual skill.

Best wishes,

Roger