Thread: SikaStag
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Gold

Send a message via Skype™ to SikaStag
Default Re: SikaStag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
Please tell us more about the farm. Was there more trees on the land at one time?
Hi
The Farm has most probably been open hill for a lot of years, the current owner has planted all the trees that can be seen in the picture. This is just one of four farms that he owns, the farm has been in his family for just over 123 years.

My wife & I are the only people living on this farm.

There is just under a mile of private road leading to the house. The farm sits 9.5 miles at the very end of a valley. nearest neighbour is roughly 2.5 miles away

There is approximately 800 breeding sheep on the farm, they lamb in late April as that is when the grass tends to grow this high up.

Directly behind me from where I took the above picture, there is a large forest plantation of several hundred acres, the farm does not own this but owns the high hill ground at the top of the plantation, the Sika deer come out of the woods to graze on the open hill, once they cross the fence onto the farm they are fair game, the trees from the plantation actually have there branches growing over the fence for about 500 yards, so the deer can appear in the bat of an eyelid.

It has been documented that the farm was presented to a Scottish Knight who accepted the challenge from an English knight (who seems to have been the Mike Tyson of his day), he challenged any Scottish knight to meet him in combat. The challenge was accepted and the Scottish knight was victorious.
The king at the time was so pleased that he granted the Barony of these lands, to the valiant knight.

Ian