View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Platinum

Default Re: R U a Cowboy Action Shooter?

Bob,

Your name sounds familiar to me. Are you an engraver?

To answer your questions I'll take them in order.
* A large percentage of CAS shooters reload their own rifle/pistol ammo due to the expense. Consider that at a monthly match where I shoot six stages I will burn through 120 rounds of .45 Colt. Factory cowboy loads (which are a little cheaper than defensive ammo) will cost between $25-30. per box of 50. So you could be spending &75.-90. per match plus $10.-15. for shotgun ammo plus $10.-20. entry fee you are up to as much as $125. just for a monthly club match plus the gas to get there. Most shooters around here have to travel at least 50 miles to get to a match. I travel as much as 100 in my case. So for most of us reloading is a necessity. In my case, I have a shooting buddy who has traded reloads for engraving

* Not too many shooters that I know cast their own bullets due to the health hazards but for those who do they reduce their costs even more.

*The largest percentage of shooters shoot smokeless. It is cheaper than black and the main thing is the easier clean up. There is also the issue of being able to see the targets through the black powder smoke. That is why black powder shooters are in different classes from smokeless shooters. They shoot in the "frontier cartridge" and "frontiersman (cap & ball) classes. I would say 80% to 90% shoot smokeless.

*There are lots of us that shoot .45's but most serious competitors shoot .38's due to less recoil and cheaper reloading. In the "classic cowboy" class we must shoot at least .40 cal. Basically that's 38/40, 44/40, .44 special, .44 Russian, .45 Schofield, or 45 Colt.

*You are right about "a good time was had by all." It is the most fun I have ever had with a gun and I have pretty much done it all form plinking to warfighting, from sporting clays to high power. It is the most friendly atmosphere imagnable and the one shooting sport that has a high percentage of female competitors. My wife hasn't shot in the matches but dresses up and goes with me as well as enjoying the costumed banquets at the big matches.

Here is a picture from the Guns of August banquet last Saturday showing my friend, Vance Montana, his wife, my wife Cassi, and me.