View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Steel

Default Re: Air Graver for wood?

Jim/Steve,

I'll take a few shots of some of the chisels I have modified for use with the Classic this weekend. The three main names that I can remember offhand are the Pfeil palm chisels, Micro brand (both through Woodcraft or similar), and the Dembart palm veiner sold by Brownells for checkering. This is one of my all time favorite tools for fast outlining of small shallow relief wood carvings. It has a slight sweep, short shaft, and is very controllable.

I have a few sample photos which I'll try to insert until I take the tool photos which show some shallow relief carvings of the type I have experimented with. The main woodcarving application I have played with the Classic is to zip around the outline of the banjo heel carving pattern. One of the photos shows one side of a neck where you can see the shallow first outlining cuts, and this is what I am referring to. The main problem I've had with small veiners is the sharpening of the tip, and when adding power it can sometimes create more problems (or at least show you the quality of the tool). Just like engraving metal, you need to have it sharpened for the purpose (plus I've found that you can damage the tips of some of these if you push it to hard). When it is set up right, the Lindsay tool really helps it glide through some pretty tough maple and ebony very nicely. I especially like it's short length, as I like to cut my wood carving tools down very short for this application too.

Regards,

Glenn Carson