View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Why did you buy an AirGraver?

1. I grew up around my Grandpa and two uncles who are more like older brothers to me to this day; all are very industrious, resourceful, ingenious people. This plus growing up around the family machine shop made me follow along in their collective footsteps. This naturally made me interested in all things mechanical in particular widgets. At first glance I knew this Airgraver thing was something special and when I got it I realized just how fine an instrument it is.

That's how I think of it; as an instrument rather than a machine, like comparing a Rolex to a cuckoo clock. It made no noise but I was using a Gravermeister that I had just bought second hand and we all know how loud they are. I really liked the way it felt in my hand rather than the cigar shaped handpiece I had been using, it seemed more natural I guess.

2. No matter what comes out of Lindsay tools I'm sure it will be well engineered and as flawless as is possible. I'm really waiting anxiously for the ball vise someday.

3. My first influence is Mike Dubber who after my first FEGA show in 2001 took home a graver blank I bought from Ray Philips and sharpened it for me as I had no idea how to sharpen and wanted one like what he would use. Soon after that show I recieved the blank sharpened to a 120 and a brass practice plate he "tested" it out on with some of his signature scroll work and lettering. I still have and use that graver and the plate sits in front of my bench and is one of my prized possessions. One other influences among many would be Jim Small the southern gentleman! He has shared his time with me over to his shop and showed me whatever I want to watch him do. I can't thank him enough; we all need a Jim Small right next door to us, not to mention he is a gifted layout man! You either got it or you don't, he's got all of it. I have a few treasured plates from him as well right next to the other one.

4. My goals are to eventually engrave jewelry for pay in some fashion preferably from a home studio, and do guns and knives or whatever on the side... We don't have the income for me to just sit around pecking at things and not making money at it obviously, it has to pay for itself and then some. Time will tell how that turns out.

Neat poll Tim, hope this helps some.