View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Gold

Default Re: what prompted you to buy an AirGraver

I thought this would be a good time to bring this thread back up to the top, especially now that Eric discovered that the mad wasps are a figment of certain people's imaginations.

1) I bought an airgraver based purely upon the testimony of people who engrave for a living, and who unhesitatingly name Steve's tools as superior. Some background: I am very familiar with GRS. In fact, I didn't even know that there was any serious competition in the pneumatic engraving tool business. When the time came, I was 98% certain it would be a Gravermach. Then, I stumbled across a number of sites. One in particular... the review on this page, by Mr. Pozzobon. His view is supported by a number of famous engravers. I went with Steve sight unseen. When I called him, we had a nice conversation, and he assured me he could "hurry up" a Palmcontrol for me in the delivery cycle.

When I talked to GRS, it was "what can we sell you?".

2) Steve seems to be a pretty busy guy, but the impression I get is that his research and testing is meticulous. Anything he decides to market will probably be a superior product.

3) Biggest influences? Any number of 18th century American gunmakers who could do it all... from forging a flintlock barrel from bands of raw steel, to seasoning their own wood that they themselves cut down, and finally to engraving their final product. The engraving would be considered crude today, but it was and is folk art of the highest order.

4) My goals are to challenge myself, and only myself. There will always be someone better. If a day arrives when I can display my work to other knowledgeable engravers with pride, that will be icing on the cake!