Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Platinum

Default Bit the bullet:)Why Lindsay?

I just got off the phone with Steve and ordered a Classic,the new sharpener, and foot control.I have to say his customer service is A++.
I am finally getting some relief from the rheumatoid arthritis thanks to Enbrel, and will be getting back to my knife work and engraving practice soon.I currently have an N'Graver and its a monster.Its just too heavy, not high tech precision, and cold to hold.So the question is why I chose a Lindsay and not the competition.Well, there are several reasons. I already have a compressor, so I'll be able to run a line to the house.I dont want to hear a compressor running while working.I dont want a bunch of handpieces for specific purposes.With the classic, its a all-in-one tool.The Classic system is much cheaper too.If you account for the competitions top grade model,all the handpieces, and accesories its a small fortune. As far as quality goes I wont knock the competition because it is a fine system and used by many of the top engravers. Also, I like the fact I can upgrade to Palm control someday if my rheumatism worsens and my ankle/foot/knee problems return. Thats something the competition can't offer. So the choice was easy.

Edited to add:
PS. wouldnt it be ironic if this thread won the forum competition.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:27 AM
Gold

Default Re: Bit the bullet:)Why Lindsay?

Great choice.

I have at about 15,000 hours of run time on my Lindsay and it runs as well today as the first day I hooked it into the compressor. The only major upgrade to my classic was the insert Steve made for the piston chamber and I assume that's now standard in new tools. It makes the tool run even smoother, took only a week to get done and I didn't need to spend another grand for the new improved tool. And Steve did it himself.

The only problem with the Lindsay is the dope slap you'll give yourself for not getting one sooner.

R.A. is tough stuff. I hope you get long term relief with the Enbrel. Do you find yourself having to make adjustments in how you work to accommodate the arthritis?

Allan
Old 03-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Platinum

I was nearly an invalid several months ago.I couldnt walk,my hands were so swollen I couldnt hold a glass of water.DR said i was the worst afflicted person he had ever seen in the first years of RA.Im still a little stiff and ache all over but its not major pain like it was months ago.I've been unable to do any type of art for months but now can work some.I have had to change the way I do everything knife related.I have spent a fortune re-equiping my shop to accomidate my dissability.Its amazing how much tooling is required to replace what my hands and basic bladesmithing tools could do on there own.Enbrel has been a godsend and the DR says theres no reason I wont get relief for life on this medicine.Unfortunately the medicine didnt put me in remission,but it only does that for about 30% of people,the rest get varying results.My major issue now is fatique,Im unable to sleep more than a couple of hours at a time.McAhron
Old 03-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover

Mcahron,

Keep a close eye on yourself with that Enbrel. My mother was on that for a while for here RA and it gave her lymphoma cancer. The lymphoma is gone now and she is on a different medication and doing well.

When that lawyer quickly states on the TV commercial that one of the possible side effects is lymphoma, its true. Monitor yourself closely while you are on that stuff and if you have anything out of the ordinary get to your doctor.

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 03-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Steel

Hi, McAhron,

I'm very happy to hear you have found some relief! These anti-TNF drugs can surely work wonders at least if not miracles. Humira has certainly helped me.

Enjoy your new tool.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Platinum

Yeah the cancer risk doesnt make me happy,particularly since my father,his father,a brother and sister all have had lymphoma.Only one died.They also have me on some low potency chemotherapy drugs,maybe that will help reduce the risk???
I tried several other meds before they put me on the Enbrel, none had any effect.The Enbrel was tried last due to cost,supposededly the insurance company says 1600$ a month.
I decided to try whatever will work after waking up and not being able to walk or get out of bed.Scared the crap out of me.
Fitzo, I'll look up Humira.I havent heard of it before.Perhaps its a lower risk and lower cost as I will likely loose my insurance in september.As you know it takes two years to get Medicare and Im not sure if Medicare will cover most of my meds.I will likely travel to Canada or Europe to get the Enbrel if I loose the insurance.I can fly to either,take a week vacation,and still spend less than it costs here.%%#^# greedy #$# insurance and drug companies.WHATS HAPPENING TO OUR COUNTRY??!! Heck, even OUR troops cant get good health care.Enough raving.
Thanks guys for taking the time to post your support, it reallly lifts the spirits.McAhron
Old 03-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Platinum

Just looked up Humira.Same exact warnings as Enbrel.Much lower cost though.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Steel

I hope you can find a way to keep getting the drug, McAhron.

The sad truth is that rheumatoid diseases and arthrits lagged behind other areas of research for many years because they were looked at as "not as bad" because they only crippled you and weren't considered fatal. Go figure.

When I started at the pharma company in 1972, there were ZERO programs for anti-inflammatory drugs. Then they realized how lucrative it could be, and dollars started pouring in. The guvmint also started funding academic/institutional research, too.

Today, research is very vigorous, and advances will keep being made. We can have some hope that there will be better drugs coming along, hopefully not so depressingly expensive.

Hang in there...
Old 03-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Steel

Dang, poor memory. I started to say one thing and got off on a tangent.

If you lose your insurance, you should contact both Amgen and Wyeth to see if they have a "compassionate use" program that will help provide you with the drug when you can't afford it. Many of the big drug companies maintain these programs. Worth a try.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Platinum

Thanks for the Amgen and Wyeth suggestions.I didnt know there are programs like that.I'll get the medicine even if I have to buy it.My Dr believes they will cure the disease within ten years so reducing the damage incurred during the wait is his priority.I feel around where my lymphnodes are daily.I may be a little paranoid but with my family history...
Old 03-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcahron
Thanks for the Amgen and Wyeth suggestions.I didnt know there are programs like that.I'll get the medicine even if I have to buy it.My Dr believes they will cure the disease within ten years so reducing the damage incurred during the wait is his priority.I feel around where my lymphnodes are daily.I may be a little paranoid but with my family history...
YW for the manufacturer suggestion, McAhron.

Not paranoid at all, IMO. Good sense. I check, too, and I've been on over 3 years.

With the success of the anti-TNF drugs, auto-immune disorders are high on priority lists for research dollars. Though I don't keep up with the rheumatology journals since retirement, I'll bet they're edging closer all the time, too. I certainly still have hope to get even better.

Again, enjoy your new tools. It will be hard to wipe the s**t eating grin off your face after you work with it two hours. Not just the machine but the points have made a huge improvement.