Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-23-2019, 01:32 PM
Copper

Default Hello from UK, Birmingham

Just starting out on my journey with engraving... and based in the United Kingdom.

One day I would love to engrave firearms, at the moment will be practicing on my straight cuts... Will need a Vise(vice) and compressor soon, and will be looking for lessons... (over the pond in the States maybe during 2020...)

Just purchase a palm control engraving kit with a gorgeous burl handle, a few books, and loads of other bits and pieces... Was great dealing with Steve, fast responding to all my weird requests (sorry) and the engineering is just out of this World.

Cheers Simon...
Old 06-23-2019, 07:14 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello from UK, Birmingham

Welcome aboard Simon. Hope you enjoy your journey as much as I have over the past 50 years.

Guns, guitars and old cars
Old 06-24-2019, 03:17 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunRoom View Post
Just starting out on my journey with engraving... and based in the United Kingdom.

One day I would love to engrave firearms, at the moment will be practicing on my straight cuts... Will need a Vise(vice) and compressor soon, and will be looking for lessons... (over the pond in the States maybe during 2020...)

Just purchase a palm control engraving kit with a gorgeous burl handle, a few books, and loads of other bits and pieces... Was great dealing with Steve, fast responding to all my weird requests (sorry) and the engineering is just out of this World.

Cheers Simon...

Hi Simon
Congratulations are in order for the Palm control and All the Best.
SE
Old 06-25-2019, 05:12 PM
Platinum

you will enjoy using the Lindsay tools. if you have any questions this is the place to ask
Old 06-28-2019, 09:46 AM
Copper

Thanks guys, for your kind words, first time every using an engraver - so easy to use out of box, sorry if the masters are reading this, using a concrete step, 16gm CO2 blub for the portability and no magnification - on a sample scrape of old bit of metal (roofing cladding)... Just getting use to handling / hand position and was cutting in a straight-ish lines lots to learn and a bit every day...

What i learnt today - CO2 blub get cold need a Paintball or Compressor, and top of the list is a good vise...

I am seriously hooked on engraving....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lindsay__First-test.jpg (61.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Lindsay__First-test-using-CO2.jpg (55.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-28-2019, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Hi Simon, Yes, a vise is helpful. In fact, if you are just holding your practice plate on a table and engraving, that makes it tougher. What will happen is the plate will move the smallest amount during impact jolts and power is lost a lot so that it takes more umph to cut. So with that, for now if you are without a ball vise you could just clamp your practice plates in a bench vise.

You may have found it already but here is a link to short practice exercises. https://engravingschool.com/private/tut1.htm

PS..
I am noticing the finish on your practice plate. Very nice job with the finish you have on it!
EngravingArtist.com