Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 09-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Copper

Default Pleasant Grove, Utah

I live in in Pleasant Grove, Utah, and would like to visit someone in the Salt Lake Valley to see engraving being done and maybe try doing it also. I would consider traveling outside the area.

I'm 68, but I think I can learn engraving.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Gold

Default Re: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Welcome and good luck.

I am in about the same boat as you are, about the same age, retired and adding engraving as a hobby. I am a woodturner that makes game calls, and have chosen engraving to try to enhance my duck calls. I am in no hurry, and don't want to spend the big dollars for the modern equipment. At this time hand pushing and a little hammering is about my limit. What happens with the future equipment desires, who knows.

I started this journey as an experiment to help me with my shallow relief woodcarving. The engraving designs are helpful and my ideas have started to come together as I mess up one piece of metal and wood at a time. When I get it all together my plans are on helping other callmakers get started in engraving and showing them the benefits of adding this to the art of their callmaking.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Copper

Default Re: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Hi Dogcatcher,
Making game calls sounds like a great hobby. I am a rifle hunter, and want to put lipstick on a couple of my pigs. Hehehe. I have a few old guns that I can engrave after I feel I have learned enough to start on something besides practice metal.
I have an engraving DVD, and a sketch book, so you are well ahead of me.
Thank you for the reply.
Gordon