Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Gold

Default Wood Carving with The Classic.

Hi to All,
I feel quite sure this subject has been covered someplace in the forum so I will be short. I enjoy wood carving as a relaxing hobby while camping. I just experienced the best of wood carving, and camping with my Classic. I was able to make clean smooth cuts like never before. When more power was needed for wood removal It was there. I had to convert some of my chisles to fit the Classic, but the time was well worth it. I will post some pictures as soon as my camera returns from my grandaughter. Has anyone else used the Air Graver for this purpose, or any other non metal engraving venture ?

Best Wishes to All,
JT
Old 07-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Wood Carving with The Classic.

JT,
I have a friend and co-worker at Browning that has purchased a PC for home as well. He is a awesome engraver but he is an awesome wood carver as well. He has found that the PC has given him new ability and ease with the PC. So right here and now I am calling him out to post some of his work, both metal and wood. My friends I know he is watching and reading so help me call him out. Ron, Ron, Ron, Ron........

Rich
Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Gold

Rick,
I would love to see some of your friends work. I am a novice at both engraving, and wood carving, and would enjoy looking at Ron's work for the inspiration it will bring. Hay Ron how about some pictures, Please...

Cheers,
JT
Old 07-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover

I agree Rich,

I saw pics of some of Ron's work when he was here at the house. Ron's and Joe Rundell's stock carvings have actually inspired me to do some wood carving on the fly rod I am currently building.

I have been using my PC with modified square gravers for outlining and with tiny flat wood gravers/chisels for carving. I am also using some rotary burs for hogging larger areas without chipping or tearing things out. The PC does come in handy and gives me more control over just trusting hand push methods.

I ran into Ron at the Movie theater last weekend. Next time I run into him in town I will have to hound him a bit about posting pics of some of his work. His stock carving is outstanding.

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/
Old 07-19-2008, 04:33 AM
Platinum

Paul Hamler has come up with a way to use the PC with some bits or drills to do wire inlay with wire as small as 0.004...
I received some pic's yesterday and they looked great...
Maybe Paul will post some info and pic's...

Jerry
Old 07-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Platinum

Hey guys,
I spoke to Ron on the phone today and told him that I was talking about him on the forum and it may be in his best interest to read it. We will see what happens. He's a pretty busy dude but him not knowing what I wrote has got to be eating at him. Ron........? where you at? If your connection is to slow, give me a call and I will post some pics for you. Its not right to keep these great guys waiting!

Ray, I am jealous that Ron got to take your class. I will try to get into one shortly.

Rich
Old 07-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Gold

Don't everyone laugh at once now, this is what they call wood spirits. The one with the big mouth is somebody we have all met at the local gin mill. The other one just sort of drifts in, and out like a ghost.

Cheers,
JT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0805.jpg (26.5 KB, 159 views)
Old 07-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Platinum

JT, those are great!! I've seen walkin' sticks filled top to bottom with different wood spirits. Sure is great to see them again and done so well.

Thanks for postin',

Chris
Old 07-21-2008, 05:19 AM
Steel

Jerry, and all.

I have been experimenting with several new wood carving tools as well as stabbing or wire inlay tools made as small as .036 . This is part of a transition to end 30 years of miniature tool making and starting a new venture of making miniature Kentucky long rifles.
I will be in Kempton,Pa.at the Dixons Gun Fair this weekend demonstrating the Lindsay Palm control and several of the new wood carving tools I have designed for carving and wire inlay. I have also developed a neat way to transfer ink jet art work to wood...I'll post and share pictures when I return.
Paul
Old 07-21-2008, 06:37 AM
Gold

Chris,
Thank You for the kind words, and taking time to view my work. Kind words are what keep us all moving forward.

Paul,
Yes, Please post your work, and some of your tool designs. I have made a few small tools as they were needed to make odd cuts. I would be delighted to see them, and your carvings.

Thanks to All,
JT
Old 07-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Platinum

Hamlertools .
would you have some photos of your chisels your using for the classic ?
are you making your own ? if so would you mind ever so much going into some deatil about how your going about it ?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Steel

I will be traveling for the next two weeks,when I return I'll post details on tools and some pictures and links.
Paul
Old 07-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Platinum

thank you very much
Old 07-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Platinum

OK, here it goes

RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-RON-
Old 07-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Platinum

i've not done it with the air graver, yet. but years ago i took common xacto blades and shaped them to my desire and soldered them onto small metal rods. used these quite nicely with a gravermeister. the main blade portion must be immersed in water to prevent temper loss, but this can be done. theres a commercial carver called "automach". maybe their blades could be cut down to fit the lindsay-- just a thought. those blades are a greater quality than xacto, and pricier too.