Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Steel

Default Hi from uk

Hi I'm Ricky from the uk,age 28.
I am planning on getting into engraving asap and as quick as funds allow.
I would appreciate any advice on cheap ways to practice before I gett in real deep with the expensive toold.
I am thinking a long the lines of pressing or electric.
Thank you for the great site and I will be here regular.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Hi from uk

Welcome here Ricky
Old 07-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandbaptiste View Post
Welcome here Ricky
Thanks Roland.
What do people think of these kind of engravers,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

It acts as a hammer and I was thinking it might be ok to start me off with or would I be better off going with the hand push engravers?

I have my vice and magnification gear,(not the best but will do),just need a cheap way into a engraver.Seems really hard to find engraving gear over here,can't even find hand push engravers on ebay or even the steel so I could shape it and make my own handle.

What is the best metal/steel for hand/push engraving?
Thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Platinum

I council you to wait and don't buy it.
For push graver and chisel or other the steel of the point depend what material you want to cut, generaly HSS is correct but I prefer carbide blank.
Push graver is very hard to push in the steel and hammer and chisel is very hard to learn.
If I had a council to give you... try to wait and keep your money to buy a good tool directly.
If you want I have the Artisan, Classic and Palm in my workshop, you can come one day to try it here, just to try it will be free ;-)
Old 07-08-2009, 06:18 AM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandbaptiste View Post
I council you to wait and don't buy it.
For push graver and chisel or other the steel of the point depend what material you want to cut, generaly HSS is correct but I prefer carbide blank.
Push graver is very hard to push in the steel and hammer and chisel is very hard to learn.
If I had a council to give you... try to wait and keep your money to buy a good tool directly.
If you want I have the Artisan, Classic and Palm in my workshop, you can come one day to try it here, just to try it will be free ;-)
Thanks for honest opinion and I figured as much.
Think I am going to give hand push a go on brass and aluminum and save up for some thing decent.Yeah I would not fancy the hammer and chisel.
Would just pushing be ok on brass and aluminum?

I am getting on the plane ,Wish I could just get up and jump the plane every where.
Would be a pleasure to one day be able to travel and see what other people do all over the world and there technique.

I appreciate your advice and I think I am going to go the,give the cheap push grave a go and save for some thing like a air engraver,which are way quicker to engrave with too.I am one to go with buy the very best and you won't need to buy again but these are very pricey and seem scarce to find used any where,Can't even find proper push graver points on ebay!so looks like I will be making my own.
Thanks for your reply and if any one else can give me any advice,I will listen,listening and learnings what I am good at and this is what I want to do.
ATB
Ricky
Old 07-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Platinum

Ricky -

The engraving doofer on EBay is adequate for marking metal, it isn't really useful for what's generally referred to here. You could possibly use it for background removal, but that's about it.

There are a few gravers on EBay UK - both new and used. One listing on at the moment is number 250457521780; I've no idea what the profiles there are.

The bare minimum I'd suggest is a 2.5mm square and a handle; these are readily available from Sutton Tools, Cooksons or the like. You'll need an oilstone or something else suitable for sharpening - NOT one of the pound shop ones, something like a Norton, preferably one of their finer grits.

There's a lot of info in the thread "Inexpensive way to give it a try" http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=4 - pretty much covers everything you need. I can help point you in the direction of UK suppliers if you need.

Added - the most useful bit of advice I can think of off the top of my head: Keep your fingers out of the way!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS_Bond View Post
Ricky -

The engraving doofer on EBay is adequate for marking metal, it isn't really useful for what's generally referred to here. You could possibly use it for background removal, but that's about it.

There are a few gravers on EBay UK - both new and used. One listing on at the moment is number 250457521780; I've no idea what the profiles there are.

The bare minimum I'd suggest is a 2.5mm square and a handle; these are readily available from Sutton Tools, Cooksons or the like. You'll need an oilstone or something else suitable for sharpening - NOT one of the pound shop ones, something like a Norton, preferably one of their finer grits.

There's a lot of info in the thread "Inexpensive way to give it a try" http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=4 - pretty much covers everything you need. I can help point you in the direction of UK suppliers if you need.

Added - the most useful bit of advice I can think of off the top of my head: Keep your fingers out of the way!!!
Thanks PS.

Theres me thinking the pound stretchers would be the best bet.

Yes please let me know of UK suppliers as I am very keen to get started as my friend had a vise which he brought from Aldi and you would not believe how perfect it is for this work and he has kindly give it me.
Its basicly a big ball that rotates in all directions and can be clamped to what ever position and the table aswell as be tilted,seems like I was ment to go to his house at the time(strange).

Might be worth me getting that electric engraver for 15-20 pound to remove back ground as it will be easier then picking it out (I may be wrong on that I may add).

I have glass but thinking of getting a head set type,is 10x the way to go?.
I have around 100 pound at the moment to get me started,so I'm hoping I can get Gravers/optics and a bit of brass and alloy sheets to practice on (Found the latter very cheap on ebay).

You know I searched for hours on ebay and not once come across them bits you got the link to.I will wait for advice on what money I should spend on them as I don't want to jump in way over priced when I could probably buy all new.

Think I just need Gravers and sharpeners and I am away for the minute,then save save save for the air type gravers.

Please post links to uk site PS as I can't stress how eager I am to get started,all my hobbies have died out.
Thanks in advance and all replies are really appreciated.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Platinum

Ricky,

One thing this forum allows you to do is to learn from the mistakes of others. The most common mistake is rushing in too soon and buying inappropriate tools. The "engraver" that you posted the link to will not remove background but will only push it around a little. A rotary tool like a flex arm drill or micro-motor will remove metal as will scorpers.

Something which many learners have problems with is getting a consistant and sharp edge on the graver without some sort of aid - this is why I would suggest you plan your purchases so that they can be linked. If you are going to go with the hand push method why not get the tools from this site (i.e. some loose HSS gravers, a couple of handpieces and a couple of sharpening templates (approx. US$430-, but there is a cheaper option which gives you one template, one diamond hone, one handpiece for US$177- plus your gravers- not included). When you later upgrade to an airgraver these items can still be used in the system. If you were to buy the standard gravers and wooden handles as supplied by most jewellery tool suppliers, you would have to opt for the GRS sharpening system as the gravers do not fit into the Lindsay templates. In my opinion this is a more expensive option as you would almost imediately have to purchase the dual angle sharpening jig.

Take time to look around this and other sites and you will learn an enormous amount.

Roger
Old 07-09-2009, 03:24 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger B View Post
One thing this forum allows you to do is to learn from the mistakes of others. The most common mistake is rushing in too soon and buying inappropriate tools. The "engraver" that you posted the link to will not remove background but will only push it around a little. A rotary tool like a flex arm drill or micro-motor will remove metal as will scorpers.
Cheers Roger - I wasn't sure if it was a rotary or a stippling one.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:15 AM
Platinum

Yeah, G'day Peter,

It is only a guess but for that amount of money I would say it is only a stippler - looks like it too.

Roger
Old 07-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Steel

Quote:
Yeah, G'day Peter,

It is only a guess but for that amount of money I would say it is only a stippler - looks like it too.

Roger
Hi,
Correct Roger,I have a dremmel with flexi shaft that just flies every where when I have tried it on brass and was thinking the stippling type would work to the same effect as a push graver.

PS I appreciate your advice and I think I am going to hold back,learn as much as I can,save hard and buy the air graver or go a head and get that $117 package and give push a go,then save for a air graver.

Yes forums are a great advantage for newbs like my self as we get to ask guys like your self whats the best to do and get sound advise as well as see what the experts have tried and tested and are using.One thing I have learnt is,the air graver is the way to go.

You are so right about being eager and rushing in to it.
I thank you all for the replies and sound advise
Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Steel

Quote:
Ricky,

Something which many learners have problems with is getting a consistant and sharp edge on the graver without some sort of aid - this is why I would suggest you plan your purchases so that they can be linked. If you are going to go with the hand push method why not get the tools from this site (i.e. some loose HSS gravers, a couple of handpieces and a couple of sharpening templates (approx. US$430-, but there is a cheaper option which gives you one template, one diamond hone, one handpiece for US$177- plus your gravers- not included). When you later upgrade to an airgraver these items can still be used in the system. If you were to buy the standard gravers and wooden handles as supplied by most jewellery tool suppliers, you would have to opt for the GRS sharpening system as the gravers do not fit into the Lindsay templates. In my opinion this is a more expensive option as you would almost imediately have to purchase the dual angle sharpening jig.

Take time to look around this and other sites and you will learn an enormous amount.

Roger
Hi Roger,
Last post I was reffering to you not PS (Sorry) but still,thanks to both of you for the sound advise.

The $177 deal and save for the air graver sounds my best option.
Watching them air gravers on steve's video tells me that is what I want and where I want to be.Saying that I have also looked and spoke with phil coggan and he does some fine work with H&C and his Bulino work is what I intend on doing in the end.

Thanks for all the sound and honest advice,so glad I found this forum,you would not believe.