Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Platinum

Default Mike Dubber

Hello to all! I'm a bit late at joining the Forum scene....I've been engraving since 1968, but I'm somewhat computer shy. After teaching high school fine arts for ten years, I spent most of my working life in the jewlery business. I still put some hours in the store, but I'm more apt to be found at my home studio doing firearms engraving. I am a founding member of FEGA and have served as a FEGA officer in numerous capacities, including President for four years. I am rated as a FEGA Certified Professional and as a Colt Master Engraver.

I enjoy teaching the engraving arts and did so for Glendo for about eight years. Now I enjoy teaching students one-on-one in my private studio.

No air-power assisted equipment existed when I started, so hammers and chisles were the order of the day. I still enjoy hammer and chisel and push graver work and I believe all engravers should know and appreciate the basics of hand work. Likewise, I am now completely comfortable working with GRS and Lindsay equipment. After years and years of experimentation, I find the Lindsay Palm Graver to be absolutely the best and most natural piece of hand engraving equipment available today. I recently bought a new Lindsay Classic for my primary bench and I'm liking that a lot! Just to show you how we'er never to old to learn, I was introduced to the new Lindsay Classic by Tim Wells, who brought his to use while studying at my studio - thanks Tim!

Now I entertain myself at my various work stations transitioning seamlessly from one piece of equipment and from one technique to another - keeps an old man wise and happy!

Last edited by MikeDubber; 09-18-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Mike Dubber

Sounds great Mike. I saw your name as one of the instructors at GRS. I took a couple of classes there. I checked out your web site also. I have been learning some jewelry skills as well as engraving myself. Something i've always wanted to do but never got around to.

I am anxious to try an air-graver some time. I had hoped to make it to the "engrave in" at Scott Pilkington's last year but circumstances didn't work out. Hopefully in 2008.

Peter
Old 09-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Peter

Everyone has different opinions about which of the available air tools are the best....and they all work on a basic air-hammer priciple. All I am saying is that the Palm takes me back to the days when I actually "pushed" a graver through metal. That's how learned the craft from the master jeweler/engraver I trained with in the early 70's. The Lindsay Palm does the same thing - only it does it effortlessly and without the tendency to slip while pushing. Moreover, it has an incredible range of available power to push the graver through soft 24K Gold or through the hardest of gun metals. I hear the same comments from other engraver friends who have had similar life-time work experiences.