Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 13,362. Welcome to our newest member, gregfladager
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Platinum

Default Where and Who is Bryan Bridges Master Die Maker/ Sculptor/ Engraver???

Hi,

I am writing this for the many that have asked about Bryan Bridges and was wondering where he was, how he was and for those who know him and those that do not yet some of his work.

I pleased to let you know is alive and well in Tempe Arizona and he just started giving Engraving/Die Making classes for beginners, intermediate and expert engravers.

As many know he was very good friends and working partners with Lynton McKenzie Master Engraver.

I am fortunate to live only 1 mile from him and have been able to take beginner classes at his house in Tempe, Az.

I am writing this for him so you know he is still making beautiful pieces.

He is not to used to working on a computer so he doesn’t post on the forum but does enjoy checking out what is going on (I will try to get him more comfortable with this).

Here is Bryan in his shop, Notice all the Gravers and punches in the cans and push gravers on his right. All have been used and have a specific purpose and he is a expert with every one…Wow.:whoo:

Here he is where he is most comfortable (notice the smile).:smile5:

His desk/office and Sculpting room is right next door to his shop.

Often he works on knifes for a local custom knife maker Tim Hancock.

Tim is also a student of Bryan’s.

He does layouts and practice plates before he engraves on the piece itself.

Here are a couple of practice plates for knives he has or is working on.

Notice the laser pointer and the (most likely) one of a kind (at least 80-90 year old) Plate Vise on his motorized turntable. Would love to find a vise like that. Closest I could get is the Grizzly h7576 only 28lbs compared to his65-75 pounder, but the Grizzly it doen't move even with H&C but maybe you would have to add a steel bottom plate if engraving harder materials with H&C.

http://grizzly.com/products/H7576

The Laser pointer one of the best features of using the vise and turntable on Bryan's system.
To be able to center the work every time with the overhead laser makes life a lot easier to turn scrolls. I tried it and it is really incredible. :yesnod:

Works great with H&C also.

Steve Lindsay sent on loan a PC Classic to Bryan for his students to use.

Thank you Steve it Really is incredible even more so than the classic with Foot control.

The PC with Bryan’s turntable is just the best combination one could imagine.
Both Foot control and PC are now part of Bryan’s Class.

Here is the link for the powered Turntable on Steve’s Site.
It is the bottom picture but remember the laser centering?? It is set at the center of the turntable so you always know where the center is…:D

http://www.airgraver.com/vises.htm

I was able to photograph some of Bryan’s Past works, and some of the most current knives he did for Tom.
Most of the photos came out ok but they are photos of photos.

Bryan did not get these photos digitized yet, but he does have some works saved in photos.

Steve said (in his description of Bryan’s school) Some of Bryan's work are in galleries, museums and The Smithsonian.
You can read more of Bryan Bridges in Steves Schools Area.

Bryan is a Master Die Maker by Trade so his classes have a little different point of view from the classic Jewlery Engraver.

He is also a expert in Sculpting H&C so much so, that Lynton wanted to learn more of Bryans techniques in Wildlife sculpting and moved to Arizona to do so.

I didn’t get Photos of his Wildlife engraving / sculpting but here is what I did get from the past works.

Here is some of the Bryan's past works.

Here are Bryan's current Work: a few Beautiful Custom knives he engraved and sculpted for Tim Hancock Custom Knife Maker.

I am sorry the Photos do not do the work justice but it is the best I could go for now.

If these get digitized I will post them.

Even with what I have for photos you have to agree Bryan Still has the Touch.. :whooho:

Hope you enjoyed the tour and Give Bryan a Call if you are a old Friend and say Hi. His phone number is current and on Steve’s site.

For those that want to know him take a few classes you will never regret it and you will not get into "bad habits".

I have to say you cannot go wrong with any classes on Steve’s Schools site.

The Learning curve is much quicker when you have a master teaching you and it is really worth it in more ways than one. In fact he can tell by the sound of the H&C or the PC if you are making a nice cut while watching for bad habits and correcting you as you go.

I just love the fact that I have one of the Masters so close and he is a great teacher and a great Guy.

AirAmp
Old 10-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Where and Who is Bryan Bridges Master Die Maker/ Sculptor/ Engraver???

Hey AirAmp, you got some pictures of Bryan and shop. Thank you. You are lucky he is just a mile away.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Platinum

Talking Re: Where and Who is Bryan Bridges Master Die Maker/ Sculptor/ Engraver???

Hello Airamp & Bryan,
Thanks for this writeup on Bryan. As a beginner I'm always interested in knowing as much as I can about the people who have mastered this art that I so much admire and hope to learn. His work is amazing and beautiful. I wonder If I can ever make something look so beautiful. It really inspires me to work and try harder. Its also nice to see him and show the actual tools and work area that he creates in. I guess Im nosey, but it seems to complete the picture of who Bryan is and what he does. So Thanks for the pictures and keep those posts coming.

Thanks.......JohnR
Old 10-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Where and Who is Bryan Bridges Master Die Maker/ Sculptor/ Engraver???

Hi John,

You should really contact Bryan and set up for a weekend to help get you going. Your not too far from Az. and he is very reasonable for his classes.

I would send him a plate or two of your work so far and see what type of instruction would help you a most.

I am sure he would like to hear from you and you can get some instruction without waiting a few months for a class to open up.

AirAmp
Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Platinum

Hey Airamp,
I think I'm too green right now for a beginners course so far away, even for a weekend class. I've only been cutting for about 8 days. I will keep the info on hand and take him up on a class later on.

Right now I'm cutting some practice plates which I hope to post and get some feedback on. Good or bad its always good to know how im doing and what I need to inprove on.

JohnR
Old 10-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Here is the information on Bryan's classes. Steve

Bryan Bridges is offering private beginning, intermediate, and advanced engraving classes. Three different class sessions will be offered; a three-hour session, which can be held weekly, a whole day session, and a two-day session.

Classes will be individually tailored to the skill level and interests of the student. All tools and supplies will be provided. The engraving techniques taught will be pertinent to firearms, knives, jewelry and to many other applications.

Lunch will be provided for the one and two day sessions. Transportation to and from the airport will also be provided for the out of town students. Accommodations for the one and two day students will be found and agreed upon ahead of time.

All classes will be at the rate of fifty dollars per hour.

Students will be familiarized with some of the latest tools and equipment, including the Lindsay PalmControl AirGraver and the bridges-automated turntable. Beginners will learn how to tool up with the best equipment at a minimum of cost, even making some of their own equipment.

If you are an experienced or advanced engraver, but are not yet quite satisfied, or want to explore some new techniques, improve your work aesthetically, or just want to become more efficient, so that you can earn more money per hour, come to class, and we can work on each area until you are satisfied that you are on the right track.

Bryan will work from a viewpoint differing from the prevailing jewelry engraving trade. His background as a sculptor and die engraver, leads him to use some of the ordinary tools of the jewelry engraver in ways differing from jewelry engraving. Also, he will introduce the jewelry engraver to some tools and equipment, which will be foreign to them, but which are useful to firearms, knives, and to many other engraving endeavors in general.

Bryan is a thoroughly trained and experienced engraver with more than forty years full time in the business. He has a bachelor of fine arts degree, with honors, from The School of The Art Institute of Chicago with a major in sculpture, and is a journeyman die engraver. He has studied with Winston Churchill and with Lynton McKenzie, who was his neighbor in Tucson for many years. Much of his work has been done for the various private mints in this country. His hand engraved coins, medallions, firearms, and knives are in collections all over the world and he has an engraved knife in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian Institution. He has engraved the portraits of our presidents, our social, political, and business leaders, our movie stars, and our sports greats, from John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King, to Evil Knivel, and Elvis Presley. His bronze sculptures may be seen at the Rive Gauche Gallery in Scottsdale Arizona.

To sign up for a class call Bryan Bridges at (602) 334 8122
Old 10-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR
Hey Airamp,
I think I'm too green right now for a beginners course so far away, even for a weekend class. I've only been cutting for about 8 days. I will keep the info on hand and take him up on a class later on.

Right now I'm cutting some practice plates which I hope to post and get some feedback on. Good or bad its always good to know how im doing and what I need to inprove on.

JohnR
Thanks for the interest John. Keep up the good work. When you are ready for some classes, let me know, I would enjoy working with you.

Bryan
Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by airamp
Hi,

I am writing this for the many that have asked about Bryan Bridges and was wondering where he was, how he was and for those who know him and those that do not yet some of his work.

I pleased to let you know is alive and well in Tempe Arizona and he just started giving Engraving/Die Making classes for beginners, intermediate and expert engravers.

As many know he was very good friends and working partners with Lynton McKenzie Master Engraver.

I am fortunate to live only 1 mile from him and have been able to take beginner classes at his house in Tempe, Az.

I am writing this for him so you know he is still making beautiful pieces.

He is not to used to working on a computer so he doesn’t post on the forum but does enjoy checking out what is going on (I will try to get him more comfortable with this).

Here is Bryan in his shop, Notice all the Gravers and punches in the cans and push gravers on his right. All have been used and have a specific purpose and he is a expert with every one…Wow.:whoo:

Here he is where he is most comfortable (notice the smile).:smile5:

His desk/office and Sculpting room is right next door to his shop.

Often he works on knifes for a local custom knife maker Tim Hancock.

Tim is also a student of Bryan’s.

He does layouts and practice plates before he engraves on the piece itself.

Here are a couple of practice plates for knives he has or is working on.

Notice the laser pointer and the (most likely) one of a kind (at least 80-90 year old) Plate Vise on his motorized turntable. Would love to find a vise like that. Closest I could get is the Grizzly h7576 only 28lbs compared to his65-75 pounder, but the Grizzly it doen't move even with H&C but maybe you would have to add a steel bottom plate if engraving harder materials with H&C.

http://grizzly.com/products/H7576

The Laser pointer one of the best features of using the vise and turntable on Bryan's system.
To be able to center the work every time with the overhead laser makes life a lot easier to turn scrolls. I tried it and it is really incredible. :yesnod:

Works great with H&C also.

Steve Lindsay sent on loan a PC Classic to Bryan for his students to use.

Thank you Steve it Really is incredible even more so than the classic with Foot control.

The PC with Bryan’s turntable is just the best combination one could imagine.
Both Foot control and PC are now part of Bryan’s Class.

Here is the link for the powered Turntable on Steve’s Site.
It is the bottom picture but remember the laser centering?? It is set at the center of the turntable so you always know where the center is…:D

http://www.airgraver.com/vises.htm

I was able to photograph some of Bryan’s Past works, and some of the most current knives he did for Tom.
Most of the photos came out ok but they are photos of photos.

Bryan did not get these photos digitized yet, but he does have some works saved in photos.

Steve said (in his description of Bryan’s school) Some of Bryan's work are in galleries, museums and The Smithsonian.
You can read more of Bryan Bridges in Steves Schools Area.

Bryan is a Master Die Maker by Trade so his classes have a little different point of view from the classic Jewlery Engraver.

He is also a expert in Sculpting H&C so much so, that Lynton wanted to learn more of Bryans techniques in Wildlife sculpting and moved to Arizona to do so.

I didn’t get Photos of his Wildlife engraving / sculpting but here is what I did get from the past works.

Here is some of the Bryan's past works.

Here are Bryan's current Work: a few Beautiful Custom knives he engraved and sculpted for Tim Hancock Custom Knife Maker.

I am sorry the Photos do not do the work justice but it is the best I could go for now.

If these get digitized I will post them.

Even with what I have for photos you have to agree Bryan Still has the Touch.. :whooho:

Hope you enjoyed the tour and Give Bryan a Call if you are a old Friend and say Hi. His phone number is current and on Steve’s site.

For those that want to know him take a few classes you will never regret it and you will not get into "bad habits".

I have to say you cannot go wrong with any classes on Steve’s Schools site.

The Learning curve is much quicker when you have a master teaching you and it is really worth it in more ways than one. In fact he can tell by the sound of the H&C or the PC if you are making a nice cut while watching for bad habits and correcting you as you go.

I just love the fact that I have one of the Masters so close and he is a great teacher and a great Guy.

AirAmp
Hi airamp.

Thanks for introducing me to the internet engraving world. As you know, I have been a professional engraver for more than forty years and I have enjoyed every minute of it. Teaching engraving has become a very rewarding part of my life. Thank you for your posting.

Bryan
Old 10-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Copper

Default Want to learn

Hi guys I live in scottsdale az as you can see I live near from mr. Bryan. Im interesting to take classes with him because I want to learn how to engrave guns an I was gonna buy a air graver but but I don't know nothing about engraving so I decide to learn as much as I can about the art before spending my money in something that I don't know how to use. But I really want to learn an become a master in this type of art. What can you guy tell me about Bryan bridges? What should I do before buying a graver

Thank you
Mr. Dreamer
Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Platinum

Dreamer! Go for it. Contact Mr Bridges or Airamp and politely ask for information or a meeting with him. You are so lucky to have these engravers near you. I was very lucky myself to have Brian Marshall near me and I took every advantage of it. They have all the new tools for you to try out and they are the best source of information. I'll be retireing soon and I plan on taking some lessons from him in the near future. Good Luck......JohnR
Old 10-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Platinum

Dreamer,

Get in touch with Bryan and see if he is still teaching. He has the Airgraver and starts you off using hammer and chisle so you can get a feeling of both and the Tools needed.

He will get you started so you have a better feeling of what to do.

contact him though the site under schools.

AirAmp
Old 10-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Copper

Hey guys how long do think it will take me to make a good clean cut I know practice it everything and went it comes to define beginner intermediate and advance what's the difference do you learn something in particular or it just the knowledge and the experience
Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Platinum

Dreamer,

I went to Bryan a few years back for lessons. He had me cutting clean lines in the first three hours of lessons. Mind you it's like golf in the beginning. You'll get a clean backbone cut then you'll have 5 dozen with elbows, flat spots, thick lines, thin lines, too deep, tooooo shallow....then you'll get another clean backbone...then you realize the HOOK has been set! Just like golf. That one clean cut means you can possibly do this stuff...after a few years of drawing, practice, lessons, drawing, and did I say drawing?

Donny
Old 10-14-2011, 02:29 AM
Copper

Harleyart,

I was doing tattoos in the past and line is one of the things that you have to do good but at the beginning every body have the same problem sometimes the ink go to deep sometimes not enough it took me some time but I got better. I'm not gonna say that I'm a great artis but I know how to draw.
I love guns as much as I love drawing and what better way to putting together bout of them. I really want to learn how to engraved guns and knives
Old 10-14-2011, 05:34 AM
Platinum

Airamp, great post and thanks for the interesting update...great work Bryan and happy to know more about you and your work.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Platinum

Dreamer,

I can't tell you how addddddicting this is. Much like tattooing you get better with each design. Carl Bliele (if I'm not mistaken did or still does tattoos) and is an excellent engraver. I am counting down the days until I am able to retire from the FAA so I can do this fulltime.

Donny